skill specialities

Hello!
I just got the game and I’m really looking forward to trying it out. I’ve read through the book and I think I have an idea of how to play it. I got one (quick) question regarding the speciality chosen during mouse recruitment. Is there any effect beside gaining +1 rating in the skill by choosing at as a speciality? I can’t seem to find anything about it so I assume it’s mostly a way to add more flavour to the character, but I thought I should check :confused:

1 Like

No further mechanical effect - it’s just to differentiate the characters in character creation.
In fiction you should call attention to their specialty though. Even a low Pathfinder mouse with that as their specialty IS a good Pathfinder so maybe don’t give them “You get lost” twists.

Thank you for your quick reply :slight_smile:

We played our first session last night and had a great time. Three daring mouses (mice) braved the wilderness trying to find a lost mailmouse with a cruicial message sent to Copperwood.

One question that arose was if a level 2 trait allowed you to use the trait three times (once for lvl1 and twice for lvl2) or if the second level replaces the first level?

Trait levels are described on p256. You get bonuses for the current level of your trait, it doesn’t stack.

There’s an error in the example text for level 2 traits on the following page (257) describing rules for the previous edition of Mouse Guard, suggesting you can use the trait as many times as you like. It’s just twice per session at level 2. At level 3 you gain an extra success to any roll you make invoking the trait (providing you have one success on the roll).