Some questions about beliefs we have chosen for our very first campaign

Not sure if this is the right place, but I have a question about a belief and such. We are all first time BW players, and learning the system together. I am going to be the GM, as I am the only person who has the book yet, and the one who wanted to try it, and convinced two friends to try it out. We are very new to this, and I want to make sure these beliefs are good for first time players (and GM!) to learn the system.

One of my players’ has a Belief about finding a legendary sword, one recognizable enough that it could be recognized by someone in a large gathering (say village or city centre) because the character is a Bastard and wants to be known for something other than being a Bastard. His other belief is about becoming more well known through doing good deeds (not because he’s a nice guy necessarily, but because his character feels that if he does enough things that help others, he will obtain his own identity independent from “that Bastard of whats his face” among the Nobles , and even people who dont even know him, his life experiences make him want to be acknowledged by everyone.

My question is more about, the belief about the weapon isn’t complete in the sense of, who should make the backstory of the weapon he’s looking for? I told him we need to make a specific weapon with a specific backstory, and not have it be broad like “any well known weapon” because its more interesting and focused that way, and he can’t just ignore the stuff I make for him, as his character has to find a specific thing rather than any well known weapon.

So basically, who should make this weapon? Should he name it what he wants, and make the backstory of what it is? Obviously if it’s going to be magical, I the GM would determine it’s in-game capabilities (if any), but should the player be the one who makes the backstory of the weapon? Like who should determine WHY it’s well known, who was the one who made it so? Should the GM or Player explain where it comes from, who used it? Or should it be a collaboration? Each throw out ideas until its fleshed out entirely? Obviously it’s current status of where it is, the obstacles of obtaining it, the clues of finding it during his main adventure would be entirely up to the GM.

I have more questions than just that, to give more backstory, this will be a 2 player game (3 if you include me, the GM.) one seems more invested than the other player, or maybe he just understands the concept of BW more. (the other seemed confused that the players have as much say, if not more, than the GM on the story and direction the game goes. Maybe he was getting frustrated when I was trying to explain to him beliefs inner workings. I was probably explaining it a little harshly, but I wanted to get the point across. He’s only really played D&D, so he isn’t used to the players massive amount of input in the actual campaign)

The two characters that were made, are Brothers, one is the legitimate heir of their noble father, he is Born Noble > Arcane Devotee > Court Sorcerer > Court Sorcerer. Their father is a minor noble of a manor, and he has a hateful relationship with him because he is in a forbidden romantic relationship with his own sister, and his father has found out. He feels bad about it, and doesn’t want to cause any further issues with his family, but is still devoted to his sister. He didn’t buy a relationship with his mother, so it is assumed she is dead at this point.

The other is the Bastard described above, the son of the Manor’s cook and the Lord of the Manor. His life paths are Born Noble > Bastard > City Guard > Duelist. He moved at a young age to the city, but he now has a Small Cottage. His relationship with the father is not a hateful one, at this point, I assume even a Bastard it more welcome in the family Manor than an heir who refuses to marry and is in love (and loved back) by his own sister, and thus causing complications in having her married off to solidify family alliances.

I want to make sure all these beliefs are on the right track before we being actual playing, it’s our first time, so they might not be perfect, some are currently in rough draft. The immediate situation is a Bandit problem that is plaguing the general area, and of course wanting to make a name for himself, the Bastard has nominated himself to solve this issue. He has to start somewhere, right?

Bastard’s Beliefs
[i] - I will make a name for myself throughout the land; starting with saving the peasants from the Bandits.

• I will avenge any major insult.
  • The belief about the weapon I described above.[/i]

I like his Beliefs, as it can basically lead the campaign in many different directions.

Sorcerer’s Beliefs
[i] - I will do anything for my sister’s happiness, as long as it doesn’t cause further family turmoil.

• Fire is an easy solution to most of life’s problems.
  • I will assist my brother with the Bandits. (This one might be a little weak maybe? I think it’s not personal enough, in my mind it kind of makes it seem like the Bastard in the main character, and the Sorcerer the secondary character, as he’s just helping because, but it was chosen after the Bastard’s player and I hammered the fact that he should have a belief about the situation at hand. But it gets the ball rolling, after the initial introductory adventure vs Bandits it will obviously evovle)
    [/i]

I like the other two, as his sister can get in a lot of trouble later on, and maybe what makes her happy down the road will not make him happy? (Maybe getting married for their fathers’ sake?) He doesn’t want to cause any more turmoil, but still wants to be with his sister secretly, and she with him. I like the fire one, because he has a fire spell (fire breath) and he will find out that it’s anything but an easy solution if he uses it at a stupid time, like getting pissed off and burning down someone’s house, especially if they’re powerful. (I assume that what he’s going for.)

I like the bastard’s beliefs too. My only concern is that the second one is actually more of an instinct, “Always avenge insults.” It’s not really a belief that sets a course for play, it’s a reactive belief that spits out artha when he gets vengeance in ways that make his life more complicated. A good belief needs to say more about the world, the stiuation, or the character. “I have nothing if not my pride; I will avenge any insult!” is good, as it states something important about the character, pride, and how it will drive him to act. “Lord Erring insulted me, and I will seek satisfaction on the field of honor!” is also good; it implies the pride and sets up an immediate conflict. But this is a little nitpicky.

He could have a belief about finding any old legendary weapon, but it would be different. Then he’d probably start with “I must acquire a blade of great renown to prove I am more than just a bastard, so I will gain the help of master archivist Veniton” or some other belief about narrowing it down. Having a specific sword in mind is a little different and can work different ways.

1. “I must acquire the sword of Sir Mathrigaine” is not a great belief. It’s okay, but it doesn’t impel any immediate action. It needs a second clause.

2. “I must acquire the dragon-slaying sword of Sir Mathrigaine” adds an important detail. The player has declared that this sword slays dragons. Now it could just be a little historical detail, but they player should be clear about if he’s using it as a signal to say he wants to have this game involve facing dragons.

3. “I must acquire the sword of Sir Mathrigaine, so I will gain the help of master archivist Veniton to find where it was lost” is better. Now there’s something he’s going to do immediately.

4. “I must bring the sword of Sir Mathrigaine back from where it fell into the hands of the Orcs” also has immediate action, but it already says where the sword is and what the obstacle to getting it is. That’s one way the player can really determine something about the sword

5. “I must bring the sword of Sir Mathrigaine back from where it fell into the hands of the Orcs, so I must assemble a trustworthy band to join me in reclaiming it,” has both the problem and the first step. It’s maybe more detail than you absolutely need, but it says what the goal is, what the problem is, and what the next step is. That’s useful for driving the game and getting the artha payoff.

As far as designing the sword, either one of you can. In fact, it’s probably better if both of you do together, and best if all three of you do it. You can riff off each other. As long as you all think it’s awesome it doesn’t matter whose idea it is. You could also do it like the eponymous weapon in the adventure The Sword and leave determination of specifics up to wises in play. If someone wants it to drive a specific element of the game that can go in a belief. If the player is feeling traditional he can leave all the details to you. The best choice is whatever meets your collective tastes.

Again, I don’t agree that the current status, obstacles, or magical powers should be up to the GM. Those might well be the important to the player! They aren’t necessarily, especially if this sword is mostly just a vehicle for fame, but they’re a way for the player to say, “I want to fight Orcs,” or “I want to have to negotiate with a dragon to acquire part of its hoard” or “I want to go on a long journey to a distant land.” As far as magical powers go, that’s one to consider carefully. A sword wanted so that he’ll be the famous guy who got this sword doesn’t actually need any magic, does it? BW can have magic swords, but it doesn’t run off of them like D&D; in this case having a sword with a famous history and a difficult present could be plenty. It doesn’t even have to be a particularly good sword! Reclaiming the shards of the blade that shattered when it was used to decapitate a great holy man would work too, but it wouldn’t be usable. The ornate, gilded, and unwieldy ceremonial sword of the first king might be a crummy weapon but it’d make a great symbol of heroism.

Now the sorcerer’s beliefs!

The first is okay. It’s a traditional stance, where it’s all on the GM to challenge it. Not my favorite, but it also leaves authorship in the GM’s hands, which is what he sounds like he’s comfortable doing. Fair enough. Be sure to give him hard choices about his sister and his family. This belief seems like one you could easily pit against his third belief if his sister’s happiness takes away his time and ability to help his bastard brother.

The second is an easy artha mine if he goes around incinerating things, but that’s again usually more the territory of instincts. As a belief it isn’t ideological and doesn’t drive any particular course of action (at least outside the realm of psychopathic pyromania). I’d want something that says more about the state of the game and what he wants to do.

The third worries me because it’s just a “me too” belief. It needs something about the characters and situation. “I love my brother, no matter his birth, so I will help him achieve the recognition he deserves” says a whole lot more. “My sister loves our brother, no matter his birth, so I will help him for her sake” now says something about the sister, too, and how much this guy actually cares. (I wouldn’t use it in light of the first belief, as it’s redundant, but it’s an example). “I can mend the rift between my father and myself by helping my brother against the bandits” actually plays off the father apparently loving the bastard more than the legitimate heir right now. Any kind of “why” belief is good. “What” would also help, but if it’s a mission together the “what” needs to be sorted out together.

Last thing: you don’t have to buy relationships with family members or assume them dead. Not having a relationship just means the character is not important to the game or the characters. The mother could be alive and well but simply less forceful than their father. Their father himself could be a non-relationship if he weren’t deeply involved in person; beliefs about earning a father’s trust and love without the father as a relationship say that the father is a background character and motivation but that he’s not going to show up a lot in person.

Welcome to the forum!

so, it seems you’re on the right track and Wayfarer has you well in hand, but just want a comment on a few things. It’s really not mandatory that the player comes up with all the details about a belief. It’s preferable that the player is actively throwing out ideas but what is really necessary is that both player and GM agree upon a Belief and know how to push and challenge it. Often that comes out of a conversation among the players where ideas are thrown about and the Situation is built collaboratively, while the characters are plugged into it through their BITs. And it’s awesome if you have a player who just throws about “I will win fame and glory by wresting the Emerald Blade of the Liche King from his dead hands!” But it’s also okay for the GM to say “A famous sword hmm? Well, you have heard tell of the magic green blade of the King of the Barrows, maybe you should put that in your belief…”

Now on to more concrete things:

These beliefs are definitely the easiest to challenge. Wayfarer has already covered the second Belief really being an Instinct. The first belief is solid. Except how. What action is he planning to take right now? As in now?

for the sword belief, your instinct to get more details is sound. He can’t just bring back any old sword. He wants fame, to build a name for himself. He can’t come striding back into town and say “Behold, the sword you have never heard tell of and which none have spoken about in hushed tones these many generations! Please trust me that this unknown blade is very, very neat! You should tell the world of my accomplishment!” So, if he’s after fame, he needs a famous sword. And if it’s famous, stuff is known or rumored about it in town.

Sorcerer’s Beliefs
[i] - I will do anything for my sister’s happiness, as long as it doesn’t cause further family turmoil.

• Fire is an easy solution to most of life’s problems.
  • I will assist my brother with the Bandits. (This one might be a little weak maybe? I think it’s not personal enough, in my mind it kind of makes it seem like the Bastard in the main character, and the Sorcerer the secondary character, as he’s just helping because, but it was chosen after the Bastard’s player and I hammered the fact that he should have a belief about the situation at hand. But it gets the ball rolling, after the initial introductory adventure vs Bandits it will obviously evovle)[/i]

I like the other two, as his sister can get in a lot of trouble later on, and maybe what makes her happy down the road will not make him happy? (Maybe getting married for their fathers’ sake?) He doesn’t want to cause any more turmoil, but still wants to be with his sister secretly, and she with him. I like the fire one, because he has a fire spell (fire breath) and he will find out that it’s anything but an easy solution if he uses it at a stupid time, like getting pissed off and burning down someone’s house, especially if they’re powerful. (I assume that what he’s going for.)

So, here’s my problem with this set of beliefs. The fire belief is philosophical stance, which is okay if the other two beliefs are strong and provide solid direction. I think it would be better as an instinct, when confronted destroy with fire.

the bandit belief actually has a lot going for it. It provides very clear direction and is easy to push and challenge. You’re right, it’s a bit weakly worded. Why? Why help the brother? Why save the peasants? Is the brother so special? Or the peasants so deserving? Or maybe the bandits are secretly in league with the father…? Any way, why? And, how? What is the character going to do right now to help the brother? Right now. As in, now.

the Belief that troubles me the most is the belief about the sister. The character is set up for this to be a major crisis point in the character. Lots of inner conflict and drama, but the belief feels like the player is trying to distance himself from all of that. I will do anything for my sister, as long as I don’t cause more family turmoil? Why? Does he love the sister? Is he loyal to the father after all? There nothing about the character here and given that he has mostly a D&D background, I would want very clear direction about this belief before beginning play. If I chose this belief, I would expect my GM to open with a scene where my sister sneaks into my chambers demanding that I declare my undying love for her and that we will always be together lest she throw herself from the parapet to the courtyard below. With this player, I’m not sure if he is trying to push this issue into the background so he can focus on the bandit thing and fire spells. I would nail this one down. He took the points for forbidden romantic relationship with his sister. What does that mean to this character?

I appreciate the input, I’m going to go over the beliefs and make sure they’re more solid using your suggestions before we being play.

I have a better understanding now. I didn’t mean the player shouldn’t have input on what he wants to fight to get it, but I meant more like the exact location of the sword as in, the Orcs have it, but where do they have it, unless its common knowledge that they have it in say a stronghold or something specific, the player and character wouldn’t have the specifics? That would be the up to the players and characters to find out during play with the GM throwing out hints in rumours (true or false, depending on rolls, etc.), and the actual adventure to find it. But I agree, adding “getting it from the Orcs” would be up to the player, now the GM would make it about fighting Orcs to get the sword, or at least start in the direction. And when I said the GM would make the sword’s abilities, I meant more of the level of power it has, like I don’t think the player should be like “its a grey damage magical sword” and it be fact. It would throw power levels out of whack. I hope I’m understanding better.

I also come from D&D mainly, all three of us do, afaik, so its all new to me also, but I watched Fire In The Garden and it was very informative (a while back, so its not all fresh in my mind), so I hope I’m getting it. xD

Obviously it’s up for discussion, like all beliefs at the start that set up the world, but it’s within a player’s rights to say that everyone knows where the sword is as long as that creates drama. Saying it’s the prized trophy of the great warlord of the Orcs, nailed above his throne, says exactly where it is and broadly how you get it, but it sure doesn’t make it easy! “I am the only one who knows that the sword is now in the hands of the leader of the foul Orcs of the wastes, and only I can retrieve it and return in glory” is a great belief that declares where it is and that no one else knows. (He’d need a reason why—has he been delving in archives or somehow found out a lost family secret?)

You’re right, the player doesn’t get to say anything about the sword’s power. He might get to say something about what it is broadly—it’s a mighty weapon, it slays demons, anyone who wields it in battle will win gloriously but die in victory—but not the mechanics. I argue above that in this case it doesn’t need any powers. The sword needs to be a symbol, not a great weapon, really. It could be superior quality, it could get a 1D balance die, but it doesn’t even need those.

“The player gets to say…” is not really a useful way to think of the situation. You folks are talking and coming to an agreement about what you want the game to be about. You can both throw in whatever ideas you have. The player gets to say whatever you both a comfortable with. Nothing’s decided unless you all agree it’s in there.

There’s nothing objectively wrong with a player saying “it would be really cool if my character could quest for a grey shade weapon.” And there’s nothing wrong with you responding “Well, I think grey shade will throw the power levels all out of whack. How about a cool sword of the High King who was slain by the great Orc chieftain Urgok at the battle of the Great Oak. It’s not grey shade, but it was enchanted by the high king’s wizard…” Just as there’s nothing wrong with you saying yes to the grey shade and folding it in. They’re just decisions that will shape different games.

As for personal preferences, I’d just make it a famous sword of a famous hero. Worth a fortune because of its heritage and legacy, but without any special powers above maybe a +1D as a superior weapon (maybe not even that). It serves the belief extremely well. EDIT: Which I just noticed is what Wayfarer suggested too.

I think I get it now, I appreciate the help. It’s definitely a lot different than any other game I’ve played before. But I am looking forward to playing. :slight_smile: