[Split] Burning Empires is BWR Revised?

Hi All,

Congrats on the new addition, it looks impressive. Probably an assumption, but I presume it’s a synthesis of all the other additional stuff: Jihad, Serpent Sun and all the rest redone with the Iron Empire specifics written in from the ground up as you say.

Just thought I’d ask the question (probably already asked), do the game mechanics (less the Iron Empire milieu) now constitute what Burning Wheel should be? By that I mean will there be a conversion upgrade from BW Revised to this, or will there be a BW Revised Revised? :?:

When you say IE is coupled tightly into the game system, does that mean that it can’t be decoupled too easily and will replace BW Revised?

I know it’s pushy - but does IE cover Magic or will those hallowed tomes now appear at lightning speed now that IE has made it through the pipes? :smiley:

Raegenhere

Burning Wheel is NOT superceded by Burning Empires. They are separate products. Burning Wheel is still here and we still plan to produce the Magic Burner (but no update on dates; it’ll be done when it’s done).

Fight! and Range & Cover work the way they’re supposed to work. They’re great for Burning Wheel. Firefight works the way it’s supposed to work for Burning Empires. It’s super awesome.

No. The game mechanics for Burning Empires are the Burning Wheel mechanics modified so as to encompass the setting and action of Chris Moeller’s comics. They are not a Tolkien-esque, medieval fantasy game set in space. They are dark, military-SF, space opera done Burning Wheel style.

By that I mean will there be a conversion upgrade from BW Revised to this, or will there be a BW Revised Revised?

No upgrade and no BWRR. BWR stands. I like it just fine.

When you say IE is coupled tightly into the game system, does that mean that it can’t be decoupled too easily and will replace BW Revised?

It’s as tweakable as BWR. To those of you who know, that means every rule is there for a reason. And every rule is tightly wound into its brothers. Willl you be able to play non-Moeller SF/space opera with BE? Sure. Will you be able to play Serpent Sun or BWR using the BE rules? Not without a homebrew conversion. Which I ain’t doing.

I know it’s pushy - but does IE cover Magic or will those hallowed tomes now appear at lightning speed now that IE has made it through the pipes? :smiley:

No magic, not ever. No telekinesis. No Akira-effect. Though there is a chapter devoted to Psychology. And those rules are probably my best designed mechanics to date. Very simple, very powerful.