Steel advancement

A rules query that I’m confused about - when marking the obstacle of a Steel test in order to determine routine/difficult/challenging for advancement, what is the obstacle of the roll if it is rolled against one’s own hesitation value? Is the ob of the full hesitation the ob used for the test (even though a half-success counts as only momentary hesitation)? And if that’s the case, are the multiple types of checks for advancement acquired, not by adjusting the hesitation exponent (which remains the same), but rather with the adding and subtracting of dice for each Steel test (due to injury, help dice etc.)? If so it seems that many (failed) challenging tests will be made in play but that routine and difficult tests would be thin on the ground (presuming a Steel of 5, hesitation 6 which seems to be the average for my players; dice are far more likely to be subtracted from wounds and suppressive fire as opposed to added from circumstances; in this situation it seems that my players will almost never get a routine or difficult test at all, except without lots of help dice).

Not that that I have a problem with the rules, just checking that I haven’t missed anything in the mechanics about setting the ob for semi-open tests (which explicitly says does not include Steel, and always has an ob of 1).

I believe it’s your steel vs. ob of the test. You don’t roll hesitation. Unless my turkey addled mind is confused by your post.

Whatever you roll against is always the Ob; in this case, the Hesitation. A partial success is usually not much of a success, when it comes to Steel. And yeah, you’ll rack up loads of Difficult and Challenging tests by making Steel tests.

Then you have to advance your Will to lower your Hesitation and get Routine tests. It’s not easy. You really can’t increase your Steel unless you have a high Will, which makes a bit of sense. :wink:

Don’t forget the situational Steel tests. Best way to get those lower obs before your Heaitation starts going down with Will.