Strange Traits...

Okay, this is probably going to sound silly…

I found several of the traits in the character burner rather cryptic. I assume they are colloquialisms or pop culture references, but frankly, english is not my first language. I’m at a bit of a loss here. Could someone elaborate to me the basic meaning of these traits? Preferrably with the work of fiction they originate in?

FUGAZI
Maelcum
Kilgore

-Silver

FUGAZI is slang from the Vietnam War, meaning Fucked Up. Can’t help on the other two.

Tim

edit: Kilgore probably refers to the character Colonel Kilgore from the 7th Cavalry in the movie “Apocalypse Now”, and his famous monologue starting with “I love the smell of napalm in the morning, smells like…victory.”

Basically a very gung-ho, aggressive, and more than a little crazy officer. Who loves surfing.

Okay, that does make sense; almost forgotten that movie. THAT guy sure rings a bell.

Edit: I assume Maelcum comes from Neuromancer, but my memory is a bit fuzzy (it’s been ages since I read that)…rastafarian marine, if my memory serves me right, but I can’t condense the vague mental image into a proper definition…

-Silver

I haven’t read Neuromancer in sooo long. I don’t remember that character, at all. I’m sure someone will be along to explain further :slight_smile:

Tim

Fucked Up, Got Ambushed, Zipped In, to be exact. And Maelcum, yeah, “I and I the Rastafarian navy.” Think easygoing, Rasta, but serious about his beliefs and about protecting his people. As I recall it’s a Kerrn LP trait, which is appropriate as Maelcum also lived in this big ramshackle space station, and seemed sort of comical and easygoing, but had a similar sense of purpose (though in this case originating in tribal feeling and AI-generated dub music rather than memories of Vaylen slavery).

Incidentally, he was one of the characters who knew anything about the Straylight run who made it out alive.

Oh ho, you guys are on fire with the Easter Eggs this time.

Keep digging, there’s lots more!

$1 for the first one to name the Talking Heads ref. It’s not a trait.

-L

Would that be Life During Wartime on p.367?

Hah! Awesome! I was just complaining last night that no one got that reference yet.

Excellent job, suh.

There’s more!
-L

Hah! Awesome! I was just complaining last night that no one got that reference yet.

Excellent job, suh.

There’s more!
-L[/quote]

No doubt this will be an EXCELLENT way to get my wife to read the BRICK. :slight_smile: