Supplements suggestions

Sure, for a salesman. Not for an artist, though.

I’d imagine we should just agree to disagree here.

I think putting out a book, called a supplement, to support a game that doesn’t really add anything to the game weakens the entire game line. I’d rather David put out a gazetteer for the Territories, which is what it really sounds like folks want in this thread more than a game supplement.

I’d rather read the comic as it comes out and at the table, use the scaffolding that is already there so that we can make shit up. I don’t want a Star Wars-i-fied Mouse Guard setting, where simple ideas are over-developed.

I would totally buy a book of sample missions. Especially if it was made up to look like it was Gwendolyn’s personal journal and captain’s log.

Since this is a game aimed at kids, I would like to see a book devoted to more art. Like, what does Lockhaven look like from the inside? How does the training grounds look like? What about Gwendolyn’s chambers, or the place where she gathers patrols and gives out orders?

More mouse characters would be awesome as well. I’m having fun right now pointing to the nice cover and saying “your character encounters this guy, he’s a grain peddler.” Not only do I save having to describe the peddler, but my imagination of the peddler and the “mental picture” I give to my players are 100% the same! You can’t beat that!

Yes, of course, more on the weasels and an uprising amongst the ferrets. Would they be able to get some trust from the mice or is any mustelid as any other?

A book with a little more on each city and a great deal more about the weasel and ferrets would be nice. I don’t think a book on every town and city would be that good but maybe a couple of pages on each of them and maybe a little more on mice in general. Then we’ll have about 150 pages, add 50 or a little more on the weasels and their subjects and we have a good book I think. I don’t want a whole lot of words specifying every detail (not to mention the cost of all book, both to print and buy) but guidelines.

First sentence is so not true.

Second sentence: Well, it is based on a comic book filled with art. That said, remember those “Atlas of (FICTIONAL LOCATION)” books from the 80s? There was an Atlas of Middle Earth, an Atlas of Pern, I think an Atlas of Earthsea, etc. I think those were about as close to RPGs-without-rules I’ve ever seen. Might be neat to see like floorplans and architectural details of the Territories collected like that.

Oooooh yes. Yes.

I guess I’m conditioned, after investing in so many different RPGs over the years, to look for more books to buy, but I’m coming to terms with looking for material elsewhere. One great resource I’ve found is the collection of public websites for all the U.S. National Parks:

http://www.nps.gov/index.htm

I’ve decided to set my campaign in the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia where I now live, and I downloaded some great PDFs which read like monster tables (interesting to note that Rats are marked as non-native species, and the closest thing to a cat is a Bobcat… Mouse Guard really seems to be set in a fantasy realm loosely based on pre-Columbian America). I also picked up a guide to native trees & plants, and I’ve taken a particular interest in local insects. All this to say–not only am I adding to the game with a variety of free resources, but I’m learning about the native flora & fauna in my new home.

YES. This. This is why I love this game so much.

Anyway, on the subject of supplements, I really like the idea of detailing setting the way Will Huygen and Rien Poortvliet did in [i]Gnomes[/i], or James Gurney did in [i]Dinotopia[/i]. I love the last pages in the Winter and Fall collected books, with trades and towns, that trends towards that, and it excited me to see Gurney’s introduction to Winter 1152, too. More of that!

Besides, that would make it something you could pitch to the comic fans and the RPG players alike.