Task System differences between BE and BWR

I was wondering why the following differences from BW were there; they seem pretty major:
BWR doesn’t restrict FoRK’s to one each Wise and non-Wise, but BE does.
BWR allows Exponent 7+ skills to FoRK 2D; BE doesn’t.
No bonus die from extra time in BE.

I ask because it seems I was using BWR skill mechanics rather than the stricter BE ones, not having read quite as recently the BE task mechanics.

(Moved to own thread per Luke’s Request)

I assumed that the bit about “…can be used like help…” (BE, 303) meant it worked like the Help mechanics; i.e. it was +1D for 1-4 and +2D for 5+?

Simple answer: to cut down die bloat. We were rolling too many dice in the playtest, so we trimmed the bajillion ways you can get bonus dice.

Time is handled more strictly in BE. You can still get bonus dice from extra time, because you can spend your downtime training or building tech. But you have to earn that downtime, and once you have, spending it on making your next building scene “patiently and carefully” is lame and messes up the scene economy.

Woah? So FoRKs don’t give +2D if their exponent is 5 or greater?

Uh-oh…

whoops

Nope. Not even in BWR.

BWR FoRKs give +2D when the FoRK’s exponent is 7+ (BWR 40)
BE FoRKs give +1D each (BE 303)

Help gives +2D when exponent is 5+ (in both). (BWR 39, BE 302)

Other gotchas coming from BWR:

• Perception is not open-ended in BE, and tests do not need to be successful for them to be logged.

• The DoW actions match up a tad differently in BE than in BWR

• The rewards for playing Instincts are reversed in BE - you get Fate for ignoring or playing against an Instinct that would keep you out of trouble

Some other notable differences:

The Circles modifiers are different in each game. Personally I think the BE list is tighter, although I usually end up using a mishmash from both games – like, the “right here right now” Ob in BW is kind of necessary, but kind of weird if you use it in BE given the nature of the scene budget.

Lifepaths in BE generate separate circles and resources values. GOD I wish that’s how it worked in BW.

p.

Hello everyone. My name is Dwight and I’m a house-ruler. :rolleyes: That particular Artha baiting is something I actually did occationally in BW prior to BE. It wasn’t even something that I brought backwards. I’m curious; Does that occationally happen at BWHQ, too? What was the origin of that rule change for BE?

The Circles modifiers are different in each game. Personally I think the BE list is tighter, although I usually end up using a mishmash from both games – like, the “right here right now” Ob in BW is kind of necessary, but kind of weird if you use it in BE given the nature of the scene budget.

I like BE’s list too. The differences in the timing options between BWR and BE look weird but it matches up because for BE trying to Circle in a conflict scene is effectively “right here, right now.” In practice it is really just the lingo that’s different.

Lifepaths in BE generate separate circles and resources values. GOD I wish that’s how it worked in BW.

I’m a bit mixed on both aspects of that part of chargen. It would make it easier to pidgeon-hole LPs but lowers breadth of concepts. The different granularity for the points make it faster to do the math but again it is quite low. I think it only works in BE because you are typically dealing with more LP.

Next session we’ll get it right. Dammit.

Yeah, that’s sure going to cut down on the handsful of dice.