The Astronaut

Crazy mode on:

Human Astronaut
Class: Astronaut
Starting abilities: Distribute 8 points between Will and Health; neither stat may have a rating lower than 2 or higher than 6.

Skills: Science! 4, Survivalist 3, Cartographer 2, Fighter 2, Scout 2
Special skill: Criminal, Scholar, Pathfinder or Survivalist

Trait: From Another World
Weapons: Dagger, firearms
Armor: Leather, helmet

Starting weapons: Dagger
Starting armor: Helmet, spacesuit (special)

Special Human Nature questions:
When you crashed, did you hid in your spacecraft trying to reach home or did you left the safety of your metal refuge to look around?
[ul]
[li]If you waited inside your shuttle for a signal raise Nature by one.
[/li][li]If you explored the surrounding area as soon as you crashed, you might increase or replace your home trait with Driven or Foolhardy.
[/li][/ul]
When surrounded with strange peoples and magic do you strive to adapt to this new culture or do you look for a way to return to base and, ultimately, home?
[ul]
[li]If you strived to adapt to these new environs raise Nature by one but reduce your starting Sience! or Survivalist skill by one.
[/li][li]If you look to reach base no ratings change.
[/li][/ul]
After first contact, do you take up arms and plunge yourself in this new planet of fantasy and adventure or do you step aside, not wanting to interfere in a world you are not fully capable of understand?
[ul]
[li]If you step aside and keep low profile raise Nature by one.
[/li][li]If you walk this unknown world you may replace your home trait with Brave, Foolhardy or Driven.
[/li][/ul]
From Another World—You come from another planet, a more advanced society that allowed your race reach the stars. Your comprehension of physic laws and technological engineering gives you an edge in this uncivilized lands, but you’re an outsider and little do you understand about this magical realms.

Just wanted to let that go of my system :stuck_out_tongue:

Stay cool :cool:

Also… this…

Space Monkey
Class: Space Monkey
Starting abilities: Will 2, Health 6

Skills: Survivalist 4, Scout 3, Fighter 2, Laborer 2, Pathfinder 2

Trait: More Dangerous Than A Monkey With A Razor Blade
Weapons: Dagger, blunt weapons
Armor: Helmet

Starting weapons: Dagger
Starting armor: Helmet, spacesuit (special)

Wises: Choose one of the following: Jungle-wise or Human-wise; Take a second wise of you choice.

Nature descriptors
If you’re a space monkey, write Nature: Monkey on your character sheet. Your descriptors are Climbing, Doing Tricks and Screeching.

Space Monkey Nature Questions
Do you ooh ooh ah ah in your free time or do you like to ook ook ook instead?
[ul]
[li]If you spare your time doing ooh ooh ah ah raise Nature by one.
[/li][li]If you engage in ook ook ook you might replace your home trait with Completely Bananas or Monkey Grip.
[/li][/ul]
When humans whoop oop ooh ooh aaaaaw aaaaaw, did you screech and ook ook ook or you started to ooh wah!?
[ul]
[li]If you went ook ook ook raise your Nature by one but lower your Lore Master or Scholar skills by one if you have those skills, or Will if you don’t.
[/li][li]If you decided to ooh wah! no ratings change.
[/li][/ul]
When under ooka ooka did you screech and ooh ooh ah ah or started to ooka ooka as well?
[ul]
[li]If you started screeching and hid raise your Nature by one.
[/li][li]If you engage in ook ook ook you might replace your home trait with Sign Language or Monkey Business.
[/li][/ul]

Because… reasons.

This made me laugh. It’s funny, I always pictured the setting kind of like Attack on Titan, where its so far into the future, and humanity has lost so much it digressed a bit. Never pictured it as another world, like in planet of the apes I guess.

Ooka ooka ooka!

I have this idea for my setting in which the old (lovecraftian) gods carried humanity’s genes around the galaxy, “planting” them at different times across the stars and developing somewhat differently. Elves, dwarves, dragons, etc are other genes planted earlier on the planet.

Hi!

Any updates on Space Monkey?:slight_smile:

I just made the level benefits for both classes. It’s my first time doing it, so they are all up to change (specially the astronaut’s, which are a bit weird…er):

Astronaut Levels
Level 1
Astronaut: can wield daggers and firearms, wear light armor and helmets. He starts the game with a spacesuit.

Level 2
Resilient: You try your best to adapt in this new world. You can learn a lvl 1 benefit of another class.
Explorer: This new world hides a whole plethora of mysteries to be discovered, and you will learn them all. You may make a Research or Digging for Leads test during town phase without raising your lifestyle obstacle.

Level 3
Skeptical: The astronaut has a hard time believing in magic and miracles. You get a +1D in versus tests against magical effects.
Smart: Your advanced intelligence lets you think outside the box and apply your knowledge to a varying number of scenarios. You may attempt to Help with any of your skills in a conflict, instead of helping with the conflict skills.

Level 4
Adaptative: You know you have seen it all. You have a +1s when recovering from the Afraid condition.
Alien: The astronaut definitely stands out in a crowd, and as he travels his exploits are known throughout the land. You have a +1D bonus when testing Circles, but cannot hide from your enemies in the stables!

Level 5
Companion: You find one of your own, a stray dog with a spacesuit and a plaque written in Russian. This companion helps you with abilities native to your class. Add +1D to your roll when your companion is helping. In a conflict, assign one of your hit points to your companion. If there are no extra hit points, then your companion can’t help. A companion never acts on his own.
Genius: The astronaut managed to jury-rig a piece of technology from scavenged parts. This item grants a bonus in a particular situation, to a single action or can be used once (like elven or dwarven items). You you can always repair this item.

Space Monkey Levels
Level 1
SPACE monkey: can wield daggers and any blunt weapon and wear a spacesuit. You cannot talk any spoken language. Also: you are a monkey.

Level 2
Evolution: You add +1 to your Will attribute.
Nimble: monkeys gain a +1D to any test involving acrobatics, doing tricks, climbing and jumping.

Level 3
Tricky: You gain a weapon that gives you a +1s to Maneuver and +1D to Feint. This weapon doesn’t take any slot of your inventory.

Level 4
Endurance: As the level 4 warrior ability.

Level 5
Agile: Like the level 5 warrior ability.

I’m thinking in moving Alien in place of Explorer, Explorer in place of Skeptical and Skeptical in place of Alien

Level 1
Astronaut: can wield daggers and firearms, wear light armor and helmets. He starts the game with a spacesuit.

Level 2
Resilient: You try your best to adapt in this new world. You can learn a lvl 1 benefit of another class.
Alien: The astronaut definitely stands out in a crowd, and as he travels his exploits are known throughout the land. You have a +1D bonus when testing Circles, but cannot hide from your enemies in the stables!

Level 3
Explorer: This new world hides a whole plethora of mysteries to be discovered, and you will learn them all. You may make a Research or Digging for Leads test during town phase without raising your lifestyle obstacle.
Smart: Your advanced intelligence lets you think outside the box and apply your knowledge to a varying number of scenarios. You may attempt to Help with any of your skills in a conflict, instead of helping with the conflict skills.

Level 4
Adaptative: You know you have seen it all. You have a +1s when recovering from the Afraid condition.
Skeptical: The astronaut has a hard time believing in magic and miracles. You get a +1D in versus tests against magical effects.

Level 5
Companion: You find one of your own, a stray dog with a spacesuit and a plaque written in Russian. This companion helps you with abilities native to your class. Add +1D to your roll when your companion is helping. In a conflict, assign one of your hit points to your companion. If there are no extra hit points, then your companion can’t help. A companion never acts on his own.
Genius: The astronaut managed to jury-rig a piece of technology from scavenged parts. This item grants a bonus in a particular situation, to a single action or can be used once (like elven or dwarven items). You you can always repair this item.

One of my players (Nicolás, from my Actual Plays) proposed this one:

“Monkey sees, monkey does: you learn an ability from your teammates.”

I might use it as an optional ability for all levels (like Evolution):

Monkey sees, monkey does: you can learn one ability from one of your teammates of the same level as you take this.

Making the Space Monkey far more versatile than the Astronaut :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, I like that better than +Will. If you want to do an evolution thing, I would add things the monkey can do instead of just boosting Will. Like…

Evolution - Bipedal: Time to stand on your own two feet. You can now carry things in your hands while walking long distances.
Evolution - Linguistics: You have learned language and can now speak instead of just ooking and ahhking.
Evolution - Advanced Linguistics: You have finally deciphered those magical runes that seem to transfer knowledge, you are now literate.
Evolution - Mathematical Mind: Oh! That’s what 3 means! You can now count and do basic math.
Evolution - Beyond Human: +1D to Lore Master, Mentor, and Scholar

eta: The thing I like about this is that it really tells the story of what you can’t do to start, and it’s interesting if you only evolve some capacities. You could evolve to read and write but still only be able to communicate with grunts and not be able to count more than one, a pair, and a bunch.

I don’t know, man, I always thought that a Space Monkey should embark in great adventures and deal with mages and demons that could give him the gift of speech. Also I always thought that mental capabilities were kind of “default”, and wouldn’t rob the player from those things (which I’m sure will “metagame” anyway). The “Also: you’re a monkey” is more for the Evil GM Factors than limitations for the player. One way or another the Space Monkey was more of a joke than anything else.

What do you think about the Astronaut? That’s the one I’d like to introduce in one of my games.

At first I was all “That’s not thematically consistent!” but then a Farscape meets Army of Darkness vibe crept into the back of my brain and I was all “OMG, epic!”

So yeah, I think it’s pretty cool. Not sure I get Alien. Why would he be good at finding people? I could see a bonus to persuader or something, because people find him interesting, but I don’t see how that helps him circle up some people that he used to know. In fact he should probably start with a 1 in circles since he doesn’t have any friends, family, mentors, or enemies on this planet right? Also I would personally limit “Smart” to valid helping skills, not any skill. Skeptical and genius are pretty neat though.

Also, I would think it would be amusing to play a space monkey that has to communicate with ooks and gestures, and roleplay the other mental limitations of a monkey :slight_smile: