The Good, the Bad, the Mouse.

Hey there. So the other day I saw an amazing picture that David Peterson did that was of a Cowboy Mouse riding a Horned Lizard and I couldn’t help but think this just screamed “Hack Me!”

Has anyone started a hack in this theme? Also I can’t find the picture again and didn’t know if someone had a link to it?

Found the picture.

So I was thinking it wouldn’t be too hard to make a hack for this. You would just need to come up with the right qualities for the weapons and skills related to the time period.

This would be a pretty cool hack. I could totally see it working. It would be fun to do the conflicts as a stage coach chase or a good town shoot out. The mouse guard could be a group of territory rangers. All the animal stats in the book would remain the same. It would be really simple to do. You would only need to tweak everything from medieval to western cowboy days.

I think a Burning Western game could be a lot of fun. But BW is just TOO crunchy with the death spiral…

I can see it now, “Burning Fur: Mouse Guard in the Old West”. :stuck_out_tongue:

Really though, like Twice Born said, if you come up with the appropriate weapons, it should just be a setting change at that point. You’d need to re-color a bunch of flavor information, like what the territories actually look like (western-style prairies and badlands makes more sense for that theme).

I hadn’t thought of this, but you would actually need to change the territories a little bit. And maybe some of the animals. You would at least need to ad horny lizards. Also, the ferrets could be Indians. That would be kinda cool. Lockhaven could be a type of fort(the mouse guard could even be a calvary). Other big settlements could be old west big cities.

Hey I saw this thread and totally got inspired to make a setting hack with some of my PCs. Let me know what you think!
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1WN09Te_MseVcazHjCjzmnRV9q1GwnIr_OxTRf-ZlKdQ

At a glance, it looks fun. Somebody play it!

Thanks! We’re playing this Sunday. I hope Grit and the Showdown conflict turn out alright.
I’m pretty happy with the starting cities and how the firearms turned out.
We will keep you posted on how the first mission goes.

Thanks! We’re playing this Sunday. I hope Grit and the Showdown conflict turn out alright.
I’m pretty happy with the starting cities and how the firearms turned out.
We will keep you posted on how the first mission goes.

That. Looks. AWESOME.

This is the kind of threadsurrection I can get behind.

I was one of Silfre’s playtesters and I’m here to report it was amazing. He’s done a lot of work to tighten up the rules and presentation. I’ll remind him to post the updated copy here.

Oh wow! Very nicely done. I am so using this.

My only change would be using Roadrunners instead of scorpions for two reasons; 1- their speed to out run predators is highly liked, 2- they are known to attack snakes without fear making them a choice mount for those brave enough to break one in as a mount without getting eaten first. (Keep it well feed if you value your tail.)

Lizards are more reliable and can last longer in the dry heat.

I can think of a lot of great ideas to go with this idea.

Kind of better than I thought it could be when I posted that picture.

One of the main things we have yet to test is a special Showdown conflict type. So far it hasn’t been needed. Everything has been handled just fine by the standard conflicts, versus rolls, etc. I’m kind of thinking the Showdown, while flavorful, doesn’t really need to be there.

Right now you have Grit as a new attribute, while you might consider instead replacing Disposition with Grit. Or Will, I guess.

Very cool hack but what about the natives?

I tried to get the author to repost his updated version over here, but I see that he never did, and now he’s flown off to France. I don’t have a copy either :frowning:

At the end of it all, it was really close to core rules, with some alternate “lifepath” stuff to accommodate the setting. Grit and Showdown never came into play, so I’d say they don’t need to exist.

I’m back! Link I am pretty sure this is the newest most correct version. Let me know what you think and what changes could be made.
-rob

I hope he does. This looks GREAT.