The Torchbearer Second Edition Kickstarter Is Live!

Originally published at: https://www.torchbearerrpg.com/?p=921

Cave Serpent by Arik Roper

Hello friends!

Just posting to let you know that the Torchbearer 2nd Edition Kickstarter is now live!

We’re splashing out on this like never before. The new edition is based on 7 years of playtesting and feedback on the first edition. We started off with the intention of making a few tweaks like fixing the bow and wound up revising the entire game.

Don’t worry! It hasn’t changed so much that your existing supplements will be useless, but we’ve clarified, revised, refined and expanded the rules. If you back at a tier that includes the Lore Master’s Manual, you’ll get tons of new material, some of which I know many of you have been clamoring for. It includes:

• New class: the thief, go from a knife-wielding cutthroat to the shadowy power that rules this town
  • New class:  the shaman, fueled by the Immortals of Beasts, channeling their wild power
  • New stock: the Troll Changeling; they’re part troll, part human and all trouble
  • New conflicts: Banish, Abjure, Bind and Battle
  • New settlements like Borderland Fortress, Shire and Walled Town
  • Lots and lots of gear in a comprehensive list
  • Rules for making base camps—good for tackling those megadungeons. 
  • Economic rules so you can crash the economy of your town
  • Travel rules
  • Simple guidance on town adventures
  • More spells and invocations
  • More monsters!
  • Wild new rules for spiritual quests 
  • And more!   

Join us in this adventure and you’ll score some fabulous loot!

12 Likes

No delivery to Argentina :sob:

Any way I can get my hands on this in the southern hemisphere?

What tier do you want?

Lore Master!

Even with our best shipping rates it’s about $80. Are you cool with that?

That would be… 140 U$D right?

Yup. I’ll try to take care of you as best I can with the contents of the box, but I cannot guarantee anything.

No worries, BWQH is not responsible for our disastrous economy :rofl: I’m thinking by the time the project is delivered, inflation would make it worth it :sweat_smile: How can I pledge?

1 Like

I’ll open up Argentina for you…

2 Likes

Done. Just on Lore Master for now, though.

2 Likes

Pledged! Thanks Luke.

There’s a book called The Broken Sword which I’m about 1/4 of the way through. Is the Troll Changeling like the concept from that? It’s one of those archetypes I’ve not seen outside of World of Darkness. When I first saw it I was thinking of the Brood Mother from the Troll Lifepaths in Burning Wheel.

Backed! And well done guys, on reaching your target so fast. :smiley:

Changelings are common in Scandinavian folklore and throughout much of Europe. Lots of folktales about them throughout the UK. Anderson’s The Broken Sword draws heavily on that folklore and is an excellent inspiration for troll changeling characters. The Broken Sword is highly recommended!

Another example is the titular character from Matt Smith’s Barbarian Lord comics.

2 Likes

At this point, are there plans for a beta or playtest version of the rules to be made available to Kickstarter backers?

[EDIT]Also, are comments on the pdfs about formatting and typo errors helpful, or should we all just shut up and let you guys work?

1 Like

Luke and company have already hired me to do freelance copy editing of their current docs, so definitely wait until they request it in the future. It’s very likely I’ve already found whatever formatting and typo errors you’ve noticed.

2 Likes

It’s weird when all the discussion about the Kickstarter is anywhere BUT the forum, so bump and congrats. I see Thor’s Big Business and raise him Karp’s “Bacon Industry”.

Let it be your fuel…

5 Likes

CONGRATS on the campaign!!! So EXCITED!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 21 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.