The Whispering Deck

(Lester Ward) #1

I suppose this is the topic for monsters and magic items, so I might as well post this here for posterity (as all the other links to it are on G+, probably).

The Whispering Deck is my take on a Dungeon World style deck of many things, built for long term campaign play. It’s based on a strange deck of cards you can buy in the real world, called the Decktet, by P. D. Magnus.

Both the Wispering Deck and the Decktet itself are Creative Commons.

2 Likes
(Jex Thomas (they/them)) #2

This is interesting, @wordman. Would you be willing to share a little more how it works in play? Maybe situations that came up in playtesting or in your own home group?

(Lester Ward) #3

My playtesting wound up being limited. The group found one of the cards and were starting to learn about it, when the group broke up for unrelated reasons.

I know of at least two games that used it, but I don’t think they ever posted anything about it, at least not to me.

It sounds like you have specific questions, though?

(Jex Thomas (they/them)) #4

Maybe? I think I need to read through it more to get a better feel. Sometimes it takes me a while to grok rules as written, and examples of use-in-play are a bit more accessible to me. Thanks for the response, and I’ll definitely let you know if/when I have specific questions.

(Lester Ward) #5

One thing to keep in mind as you are reading. To the extent that the entries want play to go a certain direction, the primary tool for doing so is by creating incentives, rather than just saying directly saying “do this”. This can make some of the write-ups sound a little strange.

As an example, the powers that activate when accumulating certain cards are intended to create a constant acceleration in accquiring cards. That is, the more cards you gather, likely the faster you will find more. This isn’t spelled out explicitly, but if you squint a little, you guess how some of the powers would have that effect in play, just by being available.