Torchbearer Conflicts in Burning Wheel?

Hey all! I’ve been reading Torchbearer and Mouse Guard after spending a lot of time with Burning Wheel awhile back, and I really enjoy all three systems, but I feel like there’s something valuable that TB and MG added in their iterations that Burning Wheel is lacking; namely, a flexible system of conflict resolution for a group of characters working in concert.

Obviously, Burning Wheel has Fight!, Range and Cover, and Duel of Wits, which are much more nuanced conflict resolution mechanics, but as far as I can tell they really work best(perhaps at all) in simulating one-on-one conflicts(except for Range and Cover, which if I’m honest I’m still shaky on).

Torchbearer has simple, elegant mechanics to handle exorcisms, chases, negotiations, not to mention larger-scale conflicts between groups of combatants. If I were to come across situations like these in a Burning Wheel game, what recourse do I have? Should it fall to a single versus test? Should I set a linked test against a disposition-like obstacle? Am I overthinking this?

Has anybody else tried to take the mechanics introduced by Torchbearer or Mouse Guard and carry them backwards to Burning Wheel? How did it go?

1 Like

In a BW campaign some time ago (~2009/2010) the game sort of built up to a climax of a large-scale armed conflict. Mouse Guard was out by that time, but Torchbearer wasn’t. And we wanted some way to represent and abstract a war. So we used a Mouse Guard style conflict.

Honestly it’s been so long that a lot of the details are fuzzy at this point. I remember we stuck with the attack/feint/defend/maneuver options. I’m pretty sure we were pretty loose with what skills could be used for which action, especially since BW has a lot more skills than Mouse Guard. Gave us a chance to get creative and bring in various skills.

I think we were pretty satisfied with the result. It worked well for what we wanted to to do.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t change the conflicts listed in the book for anything. I love them quite a bit. Give Range and Cover a try, cause it is a lot of fun.

That being said, I’d no issue with beginning new Conflicts by basing them off of Torchbearer’s stuff.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.