Trait: Undeterred

So, p. 275-6, the trait Undeterred reads:

“An Undeterred character may ignore the Let It Ride rule once per session for any test… It may only be used once per phase.”

Any opinions?

Huh! Neat. I don’t remember that one.

I think I’d treat it as a way to extend a contest in case you “lose” it – the stakes stay the same but it now takes two rolls to lose/win. Kind of a combination reroll and free test for progression.

What’s it worth? If it’s 4 or more points I’d probably assume the “once per session” is correct. The per-phase ones are either way more powerful, or they’re cheaper.

p.

Yeah, it’s a nice trait.

It’s a 4-pointer, but I’m not really sure which is intended. I bet the “use once a phase” phrase was added later, because it is a slightly awkward addition to the paragraph as a whole.

On the other hand, I’m not sure if it is quite useful enough at that rate, while at the same time worrying that it is almost too powerful, used once a session.

Way the value of buying the 4 pt trait versus buying 4 additional lifepath traits since lifepath traits cost only 1 trait point each. You could also consider a mixed approach by spending 1 or 2 points on additional lifepath traits and the rest on a general trait. There are some decent 2 & 3 point general traits available also.

Well…Casuist is similar (and what a weird word!) but rather than applying to all tests it’s only a C/O for Circles. As a C/O it’s useable 1x/session.

Ignoring Let It Ride is less statistically effective than rerolling only failed dice. But it’s also applicable to all your tests, under a variety of circumstances (not only in a failed roll but also in a roll where you want to succeed by more) and gives you an extra test for progression.

I’d still go with 1x/session. If every player buys it, that tells you it’s undercosted/overpowered, right? :smiley: At 4 points there’s a lot of other tasty stuff you could grab instead.

p.

Once per phase means ONCE PER PHASE. Otherwise, Paul’s got it.

Merry Christmas from Krakow. Old King Mikoway says, HÒ HÒ HÒ.
-L

I think the confusion came from it stating BOTH that it is “once per session” and “once per phase.” The former is redundant if the latter is true.

Merry Christmas! Don’t drink the freaky Polack liquor!

p.

Wahoo…a fellow Polock! \o/

I always liked Twilight 2000 since it took place usually in and around Poland.

Hey, what the liquor lacks the Polish food more than makes up for. And de women…can’t forget de womens…

Wife wants to do a tour of Poland in 2007. I’m certainly looking forward to it.