Twist Example Clarification

I had a question about twits. Page 35 of the Scholar’s Guide states this, "Dro’s thief Myrgan fails to pick the lock to the storeroom in time, and a patrol of troglodytes and their turtloid leader round the corner, spotting him. What’s worse, he jammed the lock. Once his companions deal with these foul creatures, they’ll have to kick the door down to get at the supplies within.. Isn’t this two twists?

Mark

1 Like

A twist introduces a new obstacle. Fun Once: The GM decides if the player bypasses the obstacle or not; if not, a different stat must be used to bypass the obstacle.

Obstacle: The locked door.

Attempt to overcome 1: Pick the lock testing criminal.

Failure: Twist:

New Obstacle: Patrol

Original Obstacle Overcome?: No; Fun Once:

New attempt to overcome: Batter down the door testing Health.

A Twist is a pretty loose framework by my reading. The example is fine as a twist, so would be having the patrol come by just as the lock opened (overcoming the original obstacle) or maybe even just having the lock jam requiring the Health test (though that may be too nice). The important thing is that 1 new obstacle was introduced, and the question about overcoming the original obstacle was resolved. Having the patrol show up, and having the Criminal tools break – for instance – probably would have been too much; the tool breakage is another twist, not resolution of the original obstacle.

2 Likes

Ah, the lock pick jam was not a twist as much a narrative framing of Fun Once principle stated right above. Sorry for my reading comprehension fail. Thanks, mate.

Yeah, exactly!

No worries! I love talking about this stuff.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.