two noble (court?) lifepaths ideas

-Widow
-Prisoner (think Blanche and Marguerite de Bourgogne at Château Gaillard)

Before working out the stats, has anynone done something similar before (or have a good reason not to) ?

Does Hostage work for your Prisoner concept?

Maybe Hostage is currently too much associated in my head with Theon Greyjoy (Game of Thrones), the homesick trait pushing a bit in that direction (i.e. being far away).

I believe that one of the big inspirations for the Hostage lifepath was Jean le Bon, King of France, who was captured by the English at the Battle of Poitiers in 1356. As a prisoner he spent his time free to travel in England and spending extravagant amounts of money on horses, pets and clothes. He also kept an astrologer and a court band. Apparently many English aristocrats competed to host him as a guest or to have him attend their parties. He also apparently started a very lucrative business importing French wines.

He agreed to pay a ransom of 3 million crowns in 1360 and left his son Louis of Anjou as a replacement hostage so he could go raise the funds. In 1363, his son left his captivity before the ransom had been paid. Dismayed, Jean felt honor demanded he return to “captivity” in England.

As for Widow, I’d go for the existing Dame or Courtier lifepaths.

Heh. What we did with the noble widow in my current game (the mother of 2 of the PCs): She has both Lady and Lord, to reflect her taking up her husband’s station when he died.

Matt