Understanding Conflicts

Getting ready for our first game on Saturday, and I want to be certain understand some of the rules:

GM: X creature is doing this thing! <dun dun duuuuun>
Players: We want to stop it from doing that thing!
GM: How do you stop it?
Players: We do ____________!
GM: Conflict!

Step 1: GM announces the type of conflict - Primarily determined by the players answer to ‘How?’
Step 2: Select conflict leader and set Dispositions? Players add dice to their leader, GM tallies up the listed disposition and adds 1 per creature?
Step 3: Distribute points and actions
Step 4: Choose actions - and resolve, turn by turn
Step 5: End of the round - determine if the goal of the conflict was met, otherwise start over at Step 3?
Step 6: When the conflict is over, determine any twists or conditions.

Is that pretty much it? I’m not running the game, but I will be helping to teach and explain. We are looking at making this the system for our next major campaign so we want to have it all down as clearly as possible!

I think the only thing you missed is that before choosing actions the GM & Players should choose the weapons they’ll be using for the round.

Hi Bohrdumb, welcome to the forums!

First, have you had a look at the Conflict Procedures on page 185? We tried break down most of the important elements of the game into a set of procedures in that section.

I think your step 5 is somewhat off. You don’t have to wait for the end of the round to determine whether a conflict is over. A conflict ends immediately when one side’s disposition (or both sides’ disposition) is reduced to zero. If both sides still have disposition at the end of the round, go back to your step 3.

Which keys into strategy and information, since your action choices are no longer symmetrical.

. +1

Thanks for the welcome. And yea, I had read it, but wanted to see what I could remember on my own. I figure I may end up GM’ing this at some point in the future and want to have it down as best as I can.