Updated PDF

Luke has uploaded an updated version of the Torchbearer PDF, now fully bookmarked, to both the Burning Store and DriveThruRPG. Go forth and download! (If you backed the Kickstarter or bought from the Burning Store, go there. If you bought from DriveThru, that’s where you’ll find the update).

Correction! The update at the Burning Store has not been completed yet. I’ll post here as soon as it is.

Burning Store and DriveThru are both current!

Thanks for your patience.

-L

How much difference is there in this one, and the first one put out? How necessary is it to have?

I’m definitely willing to buy it, but would love to know what all I’m getting.

I assume basically nothing, the bookmarks were just missing.

Are you talking about re-buying? You don’t have to re-buy!

Edit: Well, from the very first one put out, errors have been fixed. But there’s no changelog. Closest thing is this: http://www.burningwheel.org/forum/showthread.php?13529-A-potential-fix

yes, no need to rebuy. Just go to My Downloadable Products in the store and download the new one.

Huh. My copy already had bookmarks…

That’s r21 I believe.

Thanks Thor & Luke for posting the heads up.

Most appreciated,
S.

I appreciate the fact that you’ve updated the PDF to include bookmarks, but I’d like to suggest that at some point you update again with nested bookmarks, at least for the index entries if nothing else. It would make navigation a lot easier if there weren’t hundreds of entries all at the same organizational level.

Technically, there’s nothing to nest. Each of the first 39 entries is a chapter heading. There aren’t any subheadings.

After that, it’s just an index which I personally never even use, but if I did, it would need to be in alphabetical order, which it is. Maybe they could put all of the index into an “index” heading, just for aesthetics, but that’s about all it would be.

I don’t think that’s accurate. For example, Anatomy of An Adventurer through Magic & Miracles could be nested into An Adventurer’s Essential Guide to Life on the Road.

The bigger issue for me is the index, yes. And I have been using the index a lot. I think it would be ideal if it were organized into sub-folders that were chunks of the alphabet, e.g., A-C, D-F, &c.

I’d understand if Thor & Luke didn’t feel it was worth the time to make these (admittedly minor) improvements. Just expressing my wish, is all.

Yeah, come to think of it, I don’t know why I said that.

When I mentioned the bookmarks on the G+ community, Thor said he’d look into it.

Good stuff, thanks!

This is possible to do yourself in about 15 seconds.

In Acrobat, you can drag and drop bookmarks.

1. Create a new bookmark with the New Bookmark button (I named mine Index because I am clever)

2. Select everything you want to move (I grabbed -1D, -2D and everything after)

3. Drag on top of Index

4. Save As and enjoy. (Using Save As will consolidate extra PDF assets and optimize the file, I suggest always using Save As if you change a PDF, every little byte counts on an iPad!)

That would be sweet if I had access to Acrobat, but I’m just stuck with Reader.

I’ve just tried using JPdfBookmarks (a free utility) and it works a treat. There’s an EXE file in the bundle so I assume it’s primarily a Windows application, but I ran it as a Java application on a Mac and it worked fine. Now I just need to decide how I want to nest the bookmarks. A-C etc seems like the best option.

Torchbearer-edited-bookmarks.pdf__page_46_of_200_-3.png

Cool, thanks for that link. It didn’t take me long at all. 20 minutes including download.