Using a net in combat

So I’m gonna be playing a character in a game soon that I would like to see use a net in combat. For the stats I was thinking throwing ob.2 range as throwing knives DoF 1-3; 4-5; 6. On a 1-3 target takes -1D to all physical actions till disentangled. 4-5 target takes -2D penalty, and on a 6 it’s a -3D penalty. Every action that disentangle is scripted reduce penalty by 1D. Also grants +1D to disarm checks.

In addition I think it should also require a training skill to use in the first place, since it’s a very specific fighting technique, and the throwing skill is what would be rolled for it.

I generally think of it more as a melee weapon rather than a missile one. I’d have to watch some old sword and sandal flicks again and maybe some modern recreations, but I would think more like a parrying weapon which allows Lock moves and gives a bonus for Disarm.

I’m basing it off of the retiarius gladiator style. From what I’ve researched so far the retiarius (net-fighter) would use a weighted net that was attached to his arm by a long rope, and he would throw it to entangle his foe. The rope would be designed so that pulling on it could synch the net. With that in mind, if I wanted to keep it the way I set it up, I would probably need to create an option for both the retiarius and his for to pull one another down or off balance. That may get a little heavy on the mechanics, so a strictly melee approach could be simpler. I’ll have to think that over.

Perhaps consider it a ranged Grapple (plus Disarm), instead? Unique Skill (rather than Throwing), weapon length Longest but can be shortened all the way to Shortest, you script a Grapple or Disarm to use it, Weapon Speed 1, Power/Add N/A. Maybe also allow for it to be used as a small shield for Strike & Block, when it is not currently used to Grapple someone?

The Grapple gives you the variation in die penalties to the target you have above, and leverage existing Grapple rules.

Dwight I think that could definitely be a good way to work it. I’m still thinking that it would only take scripting disentangle to break though instead of the standard rules for breaking a lock.

The downside to that is that the target MUST spend 3 actions to remove the 3D Grapple(encumbrance), rather than it being possible to get free via a single roll. shrug

In any event here is an old threads on the subject ( I just recalled there being a past discussion about bolas, which is long enough to be a searchable word ): http://www.burningwheel.org/forum/showthread.php?4117-Mechanics-for-Bolas-and-Nets&highlight=Bolas

The Spider stuff is closer to what you talk about, if you have the MoBu?

Yeah, I was just going to say have you read about the Spider’s lariat in the MonBu?

What huntman describes isn’t too far removed from the way Great Spiders use nets in the MonBu.

That said, I think I’d be tempted to make a net a Longer weapon that cannot Strike, Great Strike or Counterstrike, but allows you to use your Net skill to Lock. This will allow you to use it to Lock at a distance, rather than shifting you to Hands length. I think I’d also give Net users +1D to the Beat action, which should cover weapon entanglement.

I have no idea why I typed Grapple instead of Lock. Several times.

Need to begin starting my morning with coffee, I guess. :confused: