Wild Mouse Population of the Territories

OK a few basic assumptions here.

1. territories are 7 x 8 kilometers.
  2. Wild mouse population density is up to 15 mice per acre.

This gives us a total population of 207570 mice or more!

For those who think in square miles the territories are about 21.6 square miles.

I expect that the civilized mice of the territories can actually sustain a higher population density than wild mice.

Although this seems a staggering number of mice, it actually seems proportunate to the human population of my home county of St. Lawrence county, NY. This is a predominantly rural county similar in feel to the territories. With a human population density of 42 per square mile.

Yes, I suppose I do need to get a life. I can’t help it though, my dad was a biologist who studied mouse population dynamics

I don’t suppose you know the average speed of a mouse? One not being chased by an owl, that is. Or what the normal range of a mouse is? How far does it travel to forage in a day?

Maybe I need a life too . . .

–Victor

There would be a couple of other factors within than just basic density, though - I can’t see the territories having that dense of a population.

For one thing, MG mice don’t breed like Earth mice - they seem to have a much more human-like reproduction cycle and weaning, with only one or two children born instead of the litters of a dozen. While slow-breeding would be a one-way ticket to quick extinction for our mice, in the MG world they have human-level intelligence and technology to stave off natural selection.

Mouse towns are suggested to have only about 20-40 families or so, and the cities climbing probably to some 100-200 families.

I’d honestly put the territory Mouse population closer to 70,000 for the entirety.

You might find interesting information in this thread (although respawning of old threads is frowned upon here so continue discussing here):
Another thread on polulation, cities, towns and villages and other population related questions

WTF?

We’re all geeks, here, man! We live for this stuff :smiley:

Embrace your geekness and set yourselves free! :smiley: