World Building

Before starting the campaign I asked my gaming group for elements they wanted to see during play, so we started brainstorming. The elements they gave were:

-Blackjack and hookers!
-Lost civilizations, secret stories and legacies.
-Norse, Skyrim-like setting.
-Instead of epic conflicts the characters should struggle for gold.
-Classical fantasy-dungeoneering elements.
-Undeads.
-Bizzarre elements (my own input).
-No hobbits! (another input of my own).
-Rescue missions

I tried to place some elements while creating my first dungeon, but some are more general so I’m trying to place together a setting that supports those elements and also that ties the character’s Homes and future dungeons.

I have to draw a map yet, but here are the places we came up so far (mainly the character’s Homes):

Dragon Mountains
Covers most of the northern coast that borders the Dark Sea. Long ago it was home for thousands of dragons, but now these creatures are less than an occasional sight. The range is dominated by Stormpeak, the tallest mountain in the Boreans, it is clouded in a perpetual storm, and the legend says that in the top sits the giant Urdur, true king of Borea.
Stoneclaw (Busy crossroads): sits at the side of Stormpeak, upon a rock formation that resembles a dragon’s claw. It has roads to the Dwarven Halls, Kûdz, The Faewood, the Rust Mountains and Argast. Alignment: Lawful.
The Black Bear Inn: owned by Olgred, this establishment is named after the stuffed bear that dominates the common room, a trophy that the innkeeper and his friends hunted long ago but keep boasting to this day.
Stables: are located just outside the Black Bear Inn.
Dragonsong Tavern: recently inherited to Errin and his four sisters it is one of the oldest buildings in Stoneclaw. It was founded by Errin’s great great great grandfather, a renowned bard, and you can always find an eager ear for tales of adventure here.
The Hag: is a lowlifes choice when it comes to drinking and wenching. This tavern is owned by Elbegrim, and its known for its prostitutes and gambling, is the perfect place to look for shady businesses.
Marketplace: is where the locals get to sell their crafts, peasants come to sell their surplus products and dwarven caravans try to make a side copper when traveling from the Dwarven Halls to Kûdz.
Temple to the Celestial Court: this stone temple is dedicated to the Immortals under the rule of the Lord of Lords, it is best known for its shrine to the Iron Lady, an iron statue placed outside, open to the common people.
Guild Halls: dwarves have the monopoly over the Armorer’s and Blacksmiths guilds, and now are vying for control over the Masons.
Private homes: are sturdy and well built, all made of strong wood and prepared for the mightiest storms.
The streets: are for the most part unfrequented and safe. An adventurer should be more afraid of the bitter cold than of thugs and thieves here.
Kûdz (Remote village): sits between the Dragon Mountains. Traditionally a dwarven shepherd’s village, it is the main source of weaved goods, leather, food and the famous Feldûnost breed of war goats for the Dwarven Halls. It was founded by a branch of the famed Agrilgrund clan.

The Faewood
This ancient forest is home of countless legends. Sylphs and witches, elves and beasts dwell among the dark trees, as well as the restless souls of lost travelers.
Irasend (Elflands): is hidden in the heart of the Faewood, and its one of the main elven nomadic tribes that roam the forest.

Rust Mountains
separate the eastern kingdoms. Home of bandits and savages, it is known for its mineral wealth.
Eastern Oasis (Religious bastion): lies in the distant lands of the Salt Desert, far beyond the Rust Mountains. It was founded by traveling pilgrims and now has representation of various cults, but it’s dominated by the Celestial Court.

I’ll keep posting updates to this setting, probably detailing more and more as the adventure progresses.

Stay cool :cool:

Finally I got around describing the religions in the setting, at least the main ones. I still have to develop some, but I think they are well rounded for now.

The Celestial Court (Lawful)
Legend says that the most powerful emperor mankind has ever witnessed, the Lord of Lords, abandoned the Material Plane in a ritual that imprisoned the remaining Heathen Priests souls under his own. Fueled by their powerful aenima the Lord of Lords rose from this mortal realm into the stars. As the centuries passed by he hand picked his Chosen, archetypes of obedience that integrate his Celestial Court.
[ul]
[li]The Lady In Iron: a ruling queen during the Sorcerers War she was captured by a nefarious wizard and tortured into surrender. When her king returned from war and stormed the castle he found his lady dead but unbroken. She never gave their kingdom in all those years of torture and as a reward the Lord gave her a place between his Chosen. She represents humanity’s ability to endure the grimmest situations.
[/li][/ul]

The Ancestors (Chaotic)
The representation of the first humans to settle this world, the Ancestors (also called the Ancients and the Precursors) are a force that echoes deep in the earth. As civilization grew the old monoliths that marked the primitive’s tombs were venerated by the nomadic tribes that will turn into the kingdoms of this age.

They represent the most primal aspects of mankind: the strenght, the rage and the passion that led humanity to their ruling place among the living. But they are a force to fear, because mankind is capable of the wonderful and the atrocious, and in the millennia beyond reckoning nobody knows what practices the Ancestors took upon to survive.

The Hero With a Thousand Faces (Unaligned)
Sages and wisemen of old discovered a pattern. Legends old and new, far and wide across the land, follow a system, a core narrative that had civilization through millennia. Its followers believe that an Immortal soul possess every grand hero, every savior of legend that had risen and fallen through history and worship it in collecting its exploits through time, preserving its legacy.

The Harper (Unaligned)
Legend says that the Harper disembarked on old Borea during the final days of the Sorcerer Wars. A powerful mage, this mysterious figure won the hearts of the citizenry with music and magic. The old colony was razed in the last stand, but the Harper’s body was never found in the aftermath of the war, and some believe that it reached immortality as the forces clashed over Borea.

Harpers now follow this Immortal, believing that in music it found the secret of immortality. Its cult is based on Harper Stone, the city that raised from the old capital of Borea.

Elder Gods (Chaotic)
[ul]
[li]The Black Goat With A Thousand Youngs: represents Shub Niggurath. It has power over fertility and animals.
[/li][li]The Source of Uncleaniness: is a pseudonym for Abhot, “father” of aberrations. It is constantly pouring creatures of its amorphous self, and is worshiped by its children in return.
[/li][/ul]

Some Immortals I’m toying with (some even got to appear in some adventures):
[ul]
[li]The Horse Tamer
[/li][li]The Burnt Man
[/li][li]Urdur, the God in the Mountain: not an actual god, but an Storm Giant that lives at the top of Storm Peak
[/li][/ul]

I still have to detail some of the locations of the first post.

Instead of building dungeons I’m spending my time detailing my campaign. It’s wrong, I know, but I can’t help myself, so here’s a small timeline of the setting (more so I don’t forget about it before we get to play again).

Spoilers!
Diego, Facundo, Franco, Mariana or Nicolás, if you are reading this, stop here, I want you to discover things during play :wink:

- Eons past
[ul]
[li]The Elder Gods crash on the planet. They plant the genetic seeds they were carrying across the stars, triggering the evolution of complex organisms on the planet’s surface (for experimentation).
[/li][li]The Elder Gods either watch, abandon or slumber while life starts its long cycle.
[/li][li]By the end of this era the elder races (like dragons and such) develop intellect.
[/li][/ul]

Not so many eons as before but still a long time ago
[ul]
[li]Dragons, elves and other long lived races start attuning with the planet’s ““mind””, discovering a pulsating energy inside it’s atmosphere that end up becoming what the mortal races know as magic.
[/li][li]The first humans start developing language, architecture, etc. Being unattuned with the planet yet, their spirits try to rejoin the Elder Gods, but drift off, getting stranded on the Dry Lands.
[/li][/ul]

The Dawn of Men
[ul]
[li]Under the shadow of the older (now waning) races, humanity learns to manipulate magic.
[/li][li]Pondering on abstract concepts, humanity discovers the existence of different planes of reality.
[/li][li]The sporadic action of the Elder Gods (still present on the early stages of their experiment) hints the first men of the existence of a greater power.
[/li][li]Human society grows more complex, abandoning it’s tribal nature.
[/li][/ul]

The Age of Carnage
[ul]
[li]Humanity discovers the Elder Gods, and following its nature, develops worship through the most barbaric means.
[/li][li]The Heathen Priests rise to power, building kingdoms from the tribes and ruling over their lot of humanity.
[/li][li]Driven off, the remaining tribes spread out to other continents, escaping the rule of the Priests.
[/li][li]Centuries pass, civilization rises and as survival becomes more and more secured, the Priests start pondering the meaning of life.
[/li][li]Marabundyr, a great philosopher and king, devises that the true purpose of humanity is to reach back to the gods, proving that their race has reached the maximum state of evolution: self awareness through the capability of comprehending its origin and calling back to their maker. The Heathen Priests ally and start to perform rituals to attract the attention of the Elder Gods.
[/li][/ul]

The Imperial Age
[ul]
[li]The son of a Heathen Priests reasons that the mortal races are little more that an experiment for the Elder Gods, and if Marabundyr is right, calling the creators will only conclude on the termination of the experiment, meaning the extermination of all life on the planet. Deeply disturbed he murders his father and takes over his throne.
[/li][li]Raising the brutally suppresed population under the Heathen Priests rule, the new King starts a crusade, conquering the neighboring kingdoms, deposing the Heathen Priests (powerful magic user of their own right) and declaring himself Emperor of humanity.
[/li][li]Having conquered all human civilization, the Emperor starts a plan to protect his race from the return of the Elder Gods. He extorts Marabundyr into partaking a ritual that can elevate him from the Material Plane to watch over the Empire and build an outside refuge. In a bloody ritual he kills the rest of the Priests, destroying a big portion of the Empire (and creating the Glass Desert as a consequence) with its nuclear fire. With his newfound power he creates the Celestial Citadel on the Dry Lands, building an army from the faithful souls to confront the Elder Gods.
[/li][li]Under the rule of an Immortal Lord the Empire grows, expanding south and west. All records of the Heathen Priests and their ruling age are destroyed or distorted, and the cult to the Lord of Lords becomes the universal law.
[/li][li]The Empire populates the southern continent and sends a colony to the north.
[/li]
[li]Meanwhile in what will become Borea the dwarves and elves drive off the forces of orcs and goblins to the Blackblood Marches and the Dragon Mountains, but their population dwindles and they can no longer maintain their old territories.
[/li]
[li]Finding it uninhabited the imperial forces found the colony of Borea in what now is Harper Stone.
[/li][li]Trying to expand the imperial forces clashes with the savage humans that populate the north, descendants of the tribes expelled during the Age of Carnage. finally they are assimilated by the Empire. Stone Claw and Red Bone are founded.
[/li][li]The elves, now almost extinct, start trading with human settlers.
[/li][li]The imperial explorers expand south, finding an old dwarven outpost in the borders of a great jungle. The jungle is impenetrable, and dark forces dwell between its mist. They name it “the Maze” and rebuild over the dwarven ruins to found Argast. The orcs start raiding from the Black Blood Marches.
[/li][li]While trying to explore the Dragon Mountains the imperial forces battle with the dwarves, but quickly reach an alliance against the goblinoids. To celebrate this peace the dwarves build a road connecting Stone Claw with Rock Hall.
[/li][/ul]

The Sorcerer Wars
[ul]
[li]In their devotion, southern priests of the Celestial Court build a statue of the Lord’s image from a mountain. The effort takes the lives of countless slaves and births unrest among the people.
[/li][li]Wizards and sages start uncovering the lost knowledge of the Age of Carnage. Small cults to the Elder Gods emerge in the imperial lands.
[/li][li]Powerful sorcerers start devising rituals to reach immortality, as the Emperor before them did. The imperial priests, fearing that this will trigger the same foul explosion that the Emperor’s ascent did, outlaw the practice of magic, ruling over the Empire with an iron fist.
[/li][li]Uprising starts in the south and propagates to the east. The sorcerers take control over some imperial cities and war is declared.
[/li][li]A covenant of sorcerers blow up the Emperor’s statue, placing its pieces into orbit.
[/li][li]The Lord of Lords, seeing his Empire falling apart, start ascending his most faithful servants before they are lost to the cult of the Elder Gods.
[/li][li]During the final days of the War a mysterious sorcerer called “the Harper” reaches Borea and rises to power behind the scenes, building an strange sanctum nearby the city.
[/li][li]Imperial forces march on the city and the Harper reveals himself, declaring war.
[/li][li]The city of Borea is destroyed, and the new northern capital is placed on Stone Claw, severed from the core of the Empire.
[/li][li]The Empire prevails but with a great cost. In the south few city states remain loyal. The north is under control only in name, growing independant. The east remains, but the cults of the Elder Gods already infected its pure land.
[/li][/ul]

The current age
[ul]
[li]The old city of Borea is rebuilt by a league of merchants, now named Harper Stone after the sorcerer’s sanctorum and the eery music that plays from the city’s underground.
[/li][li]Stone Claw tries to conquer Harper Stone under the guise of old imperial law enforcement. A war ensues, ends on a peace treaty.
[/li][li]The King of Stone Claw is stranded with no male successor and calls for a maiden that can give him a prince. One of the poorer lords, Lord Arvos Locke, strikes a deal with a witch that assures that his daughter will birth a prince. Arvos Locke’s daughter Helmi is crowned queen.
[/li][li]The King’s daughters demand that since they are prohibited from occupying the throne, they at least are given new territories. Lorias, Wyrmgate and Witchmound are founded.
[/li][li]An old mage builds his tower in the town of Red Bone and declares independence from Stone Claw.
[/li][li]Conflict arise between Argast and Stone Claw over territory and war is declared.
[/li][li]Prince Lorne slays a giant over Storm Peak, resurrecting the old tradition of his dynasty and gaining the love of Stone Claw citizenry.
[/li][li]Lorne, now king of Stone Claw, declares peace with Argast, marrying the fortress’ king’s daughter.
[/li][/ul]

That’s about it. I’m sure I’m forgetting something, and this all happened before the campaign started. I have to wait to resume play for new events to come (maybe even triggered by the players themselves!).

Finally a map!

Holy shit that map is awesome looking!

Thanks man! Here are some customized towns I made, from the book and two from this forum.

Stoneclaw
sits at the feet of the Stormpeak, built upon a rock formation that resembles a dragon’s claw. It has roads to the Rock Hall, Kûdz, Harper Stone, Red Bones and Argast.

This is the seat of the King Lorne Jötunnbane and is the dominant borean military force.
[ul]
[li]The Black Bear Inn: owned by Olgred, this establishment is named after the stuffed bear that dominates the common room, a trophy that the innkeeper and his friends hunted long ago and keep boasting about to this day.
[/li][li]Stables: are located just outside the Black Bear Inn. The horses are tended by Hugh, a young groom.
[/li][li]Dragonsong Tavern: recently inherited to Errin and his four sisters it is one of the oldest buildings in Stoneclaw. It was founded by Errin’s great great great grandfather, a renowned bard. You can always find an eager ear for tall tales of adventure here.
[/li][li]The Hag: is a lowlife’s choice when it comes to drinking and wenching. This tavern is owned by Elbegrim, and its known for its prostitutes and gambling. The perfect place to look for shady businesses.
[/li][li]Lifdis’ House: is passing the eastern gate. Owned by Lifdis, a young woman that has recently started to hosts travellers for a living since the passing of her two brothers.
[/li][li]Marketplace: is where the locals get to sell their crafts, peasants come to sell their surplus products and dwarven caravans try to make a side copper when traveling from the Dwarven Halls to Kûdz.
[/li][li]Temple to the Celestial Court: this stone temple is dedicated to the Immortals under the rule of the Lord of Lords, it is best known for its shrine to the Iron Lady, an iron statue placed outside, open to the common people. On occasions holy water can be seen pouring from her eyes.
[/li][li]Guild Halls: dwarves have the monopoly over the Armorer and Blacksmith guilds, and are vying for control over the Stonemasons.
[/li][li]Private homes: are sturdy and well built, all made of strong wood and prepared for the blizzards and thunderstorms that come down the mountain.
[/li][li]The streets: are for the most part unfrequented and safe. An adventurer should be more afraid of the bitter cold than of thugs and thieves here.
[/li][/ul]

Skills: Cook, Carpenter, Steward.
Traits: Foolhardy, Proud.

Available Locations
Tavern, Street Stables, Flophouse, Inn, Home, Temple, Market, Guild Hall.
Town Laws
[ul]
[li]Any man or woman of borean born who brings the head of a mighty giant will be granted knighthood.
[/li][/ul]
Alignment Lawful

Irasend
is hidden in the heart of the Faewood, one of the main elven outposts in the forest.

Skills: Healer, Mentor, Pathfinder.
Traits: Calm, Quiet.

Available Locations
Tavern, Stables, Inn, Hotel, Home, Market.
Town Laws
[ul]
[li]Only friends of the elves can enter this sacred grounds.
[/li][/ul]
Alignment Unaffiliated

Kûdz
sits in a valley between the Dragon Mountains. Traditionally a dwarven shepherd’s village, it is the main source of weaved goods, leather, food and the famous Feldûnost breed of war goats for Rock Hall. It was founded by a branch of the famed Agrilgrund clan.
[ul]
[li]The Market has been completely overtaken by the Royal Treasury and all money entering the village comes through their hands.
[/li][/ul]
Skills: Haggler, Peasant, Weaver.
Traits: Early Riser, Rough Hands.

Available Locations
Tavern, Street, Stables, Flophouse, Home, Market.
Town Laws
[ul]
[li]Killing, harming or losing a Feldûnost must be repaid to the owner with said goat weight in silver.
[/li][li]All metallic payments must be made with royal (Rock Hall) currency.
[/li][/ul]
Alignment Unaffiliated

Harper Stone
lies in the coast of the Dawn Sea and it sells goods from beyond the Dragon Mountains, the far south, Rock Hall, Stone Claw and even elven crafts from the Faewood.

An eery music can be constantly heard in the streets, coming from the sea or maybe from the deep below the earth.
It is known for been the place where the mysterious Harper had its last stand against the imperial forces before vanishing without a trace. It is rumored that it ascended to Immortality, and as such it is revered by some locals.

It’s merchant rulers are considered outside borean influence, an independent state with no king that answers only to the Empire.
[ul]
[li]The Market has been completely overtaken by the Royal Treasury and all money entering the village comes through their hands.
[/li][/ul]
Skills: Haggler, Luthier, Sailor.
Traits: Extravagant, Quick-Witted.

Available Locations
Tavern, Street, Stables, Flophouse, Inn, Hotel, Home, Temple, Market Guild Hall.
Town Laws
[ul]
[li]It is strictly prohibited to play instruments on the streets as long as the Song of the Harper still plays.
[/li][/ul]
Alignment Unaffiliated

Lorias
is a peaceful village at the side of the road between Harper Stone and Stoneclaw. Its main feature is the old castle where the descendants of Lady Lorias live and the library it contains.
[ul]
[li]Old Dorna’s House: serves as a flophouse for the occasional traveler. It is owned by Dorna, a stern old lady.
[/li][li]The Market: is set on the village square once a month. Here the peasant trade goods. This is no place for haggling, it seems.
[/li][li]Telchrone’s Tavern: is owned by the imposing Telchrone, a retired adventurer, and his daughter Tjiasi.
[/li][/ul]
Skills: Peasant, Scholar, Weaver.
Traits: Early Riser, Honorable.

Available Locations
Town Laws
[ul]
[li]All youngs of thirteen to sixteen years of age must serve the town’s guard for a total of eight seasons.
[/li][/ul]
Alignment Lawful

Wyrmgate
built upon the ruins of a dwarven fortress at the side of a mountain, it is named after the stone arch that serves as it’s only entrance. A military outpost turned temple this fortress is where the holymen of the Celestial Court sit to discuss and dictate the spiritual fate of the people of Borea.
Skills: Cartographer, Scholar, Theologian.
Traits: Defender, Jaded.

Available Locations
Stables, Flophouse, Inn, Home, Temple, Market.
Town Laws
[ul]
[li]Only men and women who swear allegiance to the Celestial Court will be permitted to seek refuge inside the fortress walls.
[/li][/ul]
Alignment Lawful

Argast
ruled by king Rolfr Eldegard, Argast is a keep built over an old dwarven outpost. This settle is in constant danger of orc raids from the Black Blood Swamp and the occasional abomination creeping out of the Maze.
[ul]
[li]The Murky Cauldron: the only tavern in Argast. Guardsmen are the most common clientele. The owner is a retired soldier called Golgra.
[/li][li]The Stables: are tended by Holg, who let’s travelers pass the night with a small side fare.
[/li][li]Homes: are built of stone inside the keep, as to resist the humid wind that comes from the swamps and the Maze. The surrounding farms vary, depending on how many times they had to be rebuilt.
[/li][/ul]
Skills: Armorer, Steward, Stonemason.
Traits: Defender, Scarred.

Available Locations
Tavern, Stables, Home.
Town Laws
[ul]
[li]No one can enter the keep after dusk.
[/li][/ul]
Alignment Lawful

Rock Hall
deep in the Dragon Mountains lies last of the dwarven halls. Seat of King Oroduin, this is the center of the dwarven power.
Skills: Armorer, Laborer, Stonemason.
Traits: Cunning, Fiery.

Available Locations
Tavern, Street, Flophouse, Inn, Hotel, Home, Market, Guild Hall.
Town Laws
[ul]
[li]Non-dwarves are prohibited to use the Guild Halls, lest they steal the secrets of the dwarven crafts.
[/li][/ul]
Alignment Unaffiliated

Tower of Red Bones
the Tower of Red Bones is an ancient imperial outpost built at the feet of the Rust Mountains. Since before the coming of the Empire the barbarians regarded this land as a cursed place.

After the Sorcerer Wars it became a refuge for practicers of the arcane arts and as for today is the only formal school of magic in all Borea. Red Bones is an independent state not controlled by Stone Claw since the last Bearskin Siege five years ago, and is completely under the rule of the Master of the Tower. Wizards seldom interfere with the peasants that live nearby and these farm holders exploit this newfound independence by trading with the Tower and Stone Claw alike.
Skills: Alchemist, Lore Master, Scholar.
Traits: Skeptical, Thoughtful.

Available Locations
Stables, Inn, Home, Temple.
Town Laws
[ul]
[li]All children that show talent in the arcane arts must be sent off to the Tower.
[/li][/ul]
Alignment Chaotic.

Witch Mound
lies between the standing stones and the Ghostfog lake. Since the burning of House Lanore’s manor and the tragic death of the ruling family it has fallen under the rule of Lorias.

Shrouded in the Ghostfog mist this haunted village is secretly protected by the power of the Three Witches.
Skills: Lore Master, Peasant, Weaver.
Traits: Rooted, Rough Hands.

Available Locations
Town Laws
[ul]
[li]All families must leave an offering of harvest at the feet of the standing stones during the autumn equinox.
[/li][/ul]
Alignment Unaffiliated.

Later I will post the updated map!

Great stuff!