Wound dice B0 and when if ever you can test

I’ll post the TLDR; at the top then get into the rambling specifics a bit later.

When a character has wound dice that reduce his skill ratings to B0 what are the exceptions and circumstances under which they can test?

I know with B0 resources cash die can allow a player to test resources but I’m a little unsure on other scenarios.

Are players allowed to attempt a linked test in order to get an advantage die to test? The counter argument to this is failure has no consequence if you fail the linked test and then just don’t get to test.

If you know you are going to receive help from another player or NPC and will therefore have at least 1+ helping die are you allowed to test then?

In addition to this, can a player with wound dice exceeding his skill exponent even help other players on their tests or is his effective exponent B0 and thus rendered useless for helping purposes?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

1 Like

Resources is really the only exception with the cash dice. You can only link to or help a test that could be taken without the assistance.

4 Likes

Having no dice left in a skill is an unpleasant situation. You can’t test and you can’t help. Also, help dice are of no use (see Exponent 0, p. 37), and I’m pretty sure you also can’t use advantage dice. The abilty is simply unavailable for the moment.

I think you should be able to try Beginner’s Luck, however, even though technically you do have the skill in question written on your sheet.

3 Likes

Looks like the core of your question has been answered, but I did want to point one thing out.

Are players allowed to attempt a linked test in order to get an advantage die to test? The counter argument to this is failure has no consequence if you fail the linked test and then just don’t get to test.

Linked Tests should be like all other tests. That is, they should have independent success/failure results. It should never be just about getting a bonus die or not getting a bonus die. That roll still has consequences.

4 Likes

@Bobo
That’s actually a nope - Beginner’s Luck is only for opening new skills, not for circumventing wound penalties.

1 Like

This is correct.

I dimly remember a discussion on that question – i.e., can you substitute a stat test when a skill is down to 0? – but it’s either in one of the purged subforums or I am unable to find it. (I used to rely on tags a lot, and Waybackmachine is throwing up nothing but crawling errors for me.)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.