Wounded Help and Advancement

Hey, folks, bit of a fiddly question: If I have a B5 Exponent and take a Light Wound, do I hand you 2 helping dice or just 1? I reckon it’s 1.

Relatedly, if I was helping with an Ob 5 test, do I log a Difficult test toward Advancement because I have a B5 in that ability, or do I log a Challenging test because my Wound drops me down to (functionally) B4?

1 Like

Hey @Gnosego!

Once you’ve taken the Light Wound (-1D), your skill is (temporarily) B4, so you hand over 1 Helping Dice.

Similarly, if you you are helping an Ob 5 test, and your skill is currently B4 (due to wound penalties), you log a Challenging test.

It can be pretty hard to find those Challenging tests when your skill gets high, so getting your character (punched in the face a couple of times / drunk / wearing a helmet backwards / etc.) beforehand is an excellent way to get such tests!

Have a look at p488 (Wounded Dice), where it describes penalty dice being subtracted.

Also on p488 (Zero Skills), you’ll see that if a skill hits zero, you cannot test it / help with it / FoRK it.

It’s all a handy incentive to go adventuring whilst injured! Sure, you’re sporting that Midi (-2D) wound, but just think of those challenging stat tests you’ll be able to get!

Although, do please note p489 (Zero Stats = Incapacitated). A wounded character is that much closer to getting knocked out, as the moment one of your stats hits zero, you’re down.

3 Likes

Nothin better than you for advancement than getting wounded, it’s one of my favorite parts of burning wheel

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.