A few stupid questions...

I due to start playing in a Burning Empires game soon, and I’m trying to burn up the resources part of my Forged Lord on our High Index world. I’ve got a few questions about the details of buying stuff and things though…

Firstly, I want to own a big and shiny spaceship, specifically a Hammer Cruiser. How much will this cost?
a) 1 rp, as it’s something appropriate to my chosen lifepaths (I also have LP Hammer and Hammer Captain)
b) 2 rps, as the cheat dheet for char gen says that Hammer Cruisers are Advaned/Illegal/Restricted, which costs 2 points (or 1 if my GM think it make sense, which would probably apply in this case)
c) 4 rps, as that translates to 20 tech points, which is the cost listed next to the ship (however, I think that’s just the resource obstacle if I wanted on in play)

Secondly, my character has the logistics skill, which needs tools. Again, how much does this cost?
a) 1 rp, as it’s a tool appropriate to my lifepath
b) More, as the cost of a tool listed in the tech burner varies with its complexity. Given that the description of Logistics makes it sounds like I need a shiny high-tech computer, I assume my tool will be towards the top end of this scale. Even if this option is wrong, how many tech points should it cost to make tools for Logistics?

Many thanks in advance!

Hi Kath, and welcome!

I recommend taking a good look at the Resources section of the Character Burning chapter (BE, p109-113). You’ll want to pay particular attention to Gear and Hard Technology (BE, p111), and Skills, Technology and Tools (BE, p110).

According to the Gear and Hard Technology section, you need to pay 2 rps because a big and shiny ship is Advanced/Restricted. Even on a High Index world, a Hammer Cruiser is advanced and restricted technology. You could get a Hammer Patrol Craft or Hammer Assault Shuttle for 1 rp though!

Secondly, my character has the logistics skill, which needs tools. Again, how much does this cost?
a) 1 rp, as it’s a tool appropriate to my lifepath
b) More, as the cost of a tool listed in the tech burner varies with its complexity. Given that the description of Logistics makes it sounds like I need a shiny high-tech computer, I assume my tool will be towards the top end of this scale. Even if this option is wrong, how many tech points should it cost to make tools for Logistics?
According to Skills, Technology and Tools, tools or a workshop costs 1 rp in Character Burning.

Spend the 2rp. When you need a Hammer Cruiser is not the time to try and buy it! Besides, who doesn’t like having a Hammer Cruiser (and its crew) to hand. They’re very useful things when you want to ignite a world’s atmosphere.

Spend some extra RPs to customize it!

Add some cool drawbacks, too. Like “Power Hog: +1ob to Ammo checks.”

Thanks for the clarifications!

I’m almost certainly going to buy the thing, and may well look into customisation as well, for added bonus cool :).