Charred: An Unofficial Online BWG Character Burner

It would be awesome if it could generate a form-fillable pdf of the character, so after creation it could be used in online games.

Also, a random character or NPC generator! That would be a lot of fun.

Something for online play is an interesting idea. I think, though, I’d make it another web-app rather than a form-fillable PDF. I wonder how many people would be interested in something like that.

I was thinking of something like that as well. You’d pick the number of NPCs to generate, the number of lifepaths, and then either the final lifepath or maybe just a setting and it would generate a bunch of simple NPCs.

Getting ready to run the game for the first time later this month and this seems a Godsend. Thank you. On the other hand, I’m wondering, would the players learn more by burning characters the old fashioned way the first time?

I’m glad you like it!

That’s a good question. If they’re new players I guess it depends on how committed they are to the game. The character creation process can be rather long so having a tool that automates most of it might lead to more enjoyment since they’ll be playing the game rather than preparing. But after a couple games it might be good for them to try creating a character manually to see what’s all involved.

I’ve been spamming PMs, but I figure I’ll make it public. The Elves’ skill songs aren’t marked “open ended” and don’t cost 2 skill points to open, but they should.

There could be a “round Resources up” toggle for when the GM’s nice and allows those 13 points spent on property and reputations to add up to a full 1D Resources.

Orcish Hatred isn’t calculating quite right. I think no traits are contributing to Hatred as they should be.

Under Orcish gear you have “Cerimonial” weapons. It should be spelled “Ceremonial” although the current spelling is more Orcish. Maybe “Saramonyul” instead.

Prince of the Blood is marked as a Cha trait, but it should be Dt.

While it’s a bunch of work, having the various traits that give extra beliefs open up an extra slot would be great. An easier solution is to just make there be four belief slots, one of which should generally go unused. Similarly it would be great to have a way to put the free or reduced-cost reputations, affiliations, and relationships from traits on the sheet.

It would be nice to be able to give extra stats, traits, RP, or skill points, as long as they’re noted somewhere. For cultural traits, for example, or if the GM decides every character should start with Obfuscated Prophecy-Wise opened and a relationship with the Mad Oracle.

Oops, sorry I didn’t check messages yesterday. I’ll take a look at these things and see what I can do. Thanks for finding the problems, and for the suggestions!

I’ve pushed an updated version of Charred that fixes a bunch of problems:

• Elven skill-songs were not marked as magic and some were not marked Elven-only
  • The skill Excavation was not marked as Dwarven or magic
  • Capitalized notes, requirements, and restrictions in Lifepaths
  • Added Lance to appropriate weapons
  • Combined Arquebus and Pistol as Firearms
  • Fixed spelling of “ceremonial” in Orcish resources
  • Moved Rent into Property category of resources
  • On the character sheet, training skills were shown with a shade and exponent; this has been fixed
  • A number of traits such as Prince/Princess of the Blood were not being referenced correctly from
    the lifepaths and so were defaulting to character traits

Yeah, there are a lot of traits that change the way things work, and I haven’t added any code to handle them yet. I’m not sure if there’s a nice way to make them programmatically generic, so I’ll probably have to handle most of them as special cases. Once I get time I’ll start working through them to get them working.

Was messing around with burning a character today and noticed the non-lifepath traits were all gone. The pull-down menu was empty. New bug?

Not true at all for me. Is it always empty for you?

The Prince/Princess Elven LP is once again not working as a requirement for anything. The “Wierd” character trait should be spelled “Weird” instead.

Well, I tried it again on my home computer and it worked fine. Perhaps it was just my work computer. That’s what I get for screwing around at work…

Prince/Princess still not working.

The Shopkeeper lifepath in the City setting is a little bit off. It gives 1 skill point but should give 4.

It would be handy to have a “Spells” section for things that Men and Orcs can spend RP on. Bonus points if the list actually has the spells with costs. Adding them as custom gear works, but spells aren’t really gear.

Do you mean the skill prerequisites for Prince/Princess? They seem to be working for me; I can only take Prince/Princess after I’ve taken Sword Singer. If you mean the trait prerequisites, Charred does them differently: you’re allowed to take a lifepath if you don’t have the required trait. It adds a warning to the trait section saying “You must take X trait to satisfy Y lifepath”. That warning remains until you take the trait.

Good point! I’ll correct that.

Yeah, that’s true. I’ll add that to the to-do list.

Just pushed a new version with Shopkeeper fixed.

I don’t mean you can’t get Prince/Princess, I mean it doesn’t seem to be recognized as a requirement for other lifepaths.

In the settings, where you can override the prerequisite requirements, it would be nice if you could enable a few more things:

1. Leads to anywhere. Because if you’re ignoring requirements you may also be ignoring the lead requirements.

2. Freedom to raise stats/skills/attributes/traits above the pool limits. Sometimes you just wanna cheat. But other times you need to alter stats in ways that Charred doesn’t recognize. If you’ve changed rounding from root stats (e.g. Acute) you might need extra skills. If you alter stats (e.g. Vigor of Youth) or attribute (lots of Orcish Hatred traits, some Health and Steel modifiers in particular) you might need to do it by hand. And of course sometimes you might want to e.g. give humans different free cultural traits.

Also, any interest in adding the MonBu stocks or the MaBu extra wizard LPs? I could try to make time to write and format them for you if they’re something you consider worthwhile.

Oops, I see what you mean now. I’ll look into that.

Good suggestions! I’ll incorporate that.

That’s a good question. Would they work with BWG? If so, then I’d add them for sure. I could also make another setting to enable/disable those.

Just pushed a new version with some fixes:

• Corrected lifepaths that didn’t work as a prerequisite for other lifepaths:
    Elven: Patriarch/matriarch, Prince/princess
    Mannish: Prince
    Orcish: Packmaster, Whipmaster
  • When lifepath requirement enforcement is turned off, show all settings and subsettings
  • Cheat Mode: Added a new setting to disable the enforcement of point limits.
  • Orcish Hatred now takes into account the Hatred-affecting traits (Kicking the Beast, Yowling, etc.)

If the LP includes Appropriate Weapons, Charred prompts selection of weapons, but then it moves those choices to the end of the skill list. When Appropriate Weapons is the first skill, the skills still move to the end and the second skill becomes the required skill. That’s not quite right.

The “Healthy” trait has a very minor capitalization error with the word HEalth.

The MonBu stocks would work just fine as far as I can tell. I’d be happy to write them out if you give me the proper format. If that needs code/script in it too I can do that as long as I know what it is. You could post or PM me the format for the existing LPs if it’s not something exceptionally complicated and in multiple places.

I think the Steel “Have you take a soldier, conscript, bandit, etc.” LP question should probably remain a checkbox. It’s a little bit subjective. Is a city guard a soldier? Is a squire? It really depends on the game.

Hmm, that’s a good point. That makes me realize there might be another problem with expanding the appropriate weapons: you have to spend points on each weapon separately, instead of them all incrementing at once. I wonder if the intent of appropriate weapons is that spending 3 points, say, would open all weapons and increase their exponents all by two? Or are you supposed to still increase them separately?

Ok, I’ll fix that.

That would be great! Let me write up a good explanation of the format and I’ll send it to you.

Yeah that makes sense.

Appropriate Weapons is intended to let you choose any number of individual weapons skills. It is not, itself, a skill. The book is unfortunately unclear on the subject but the way you have it set up now is correct.

The best solution is to put the individual “Appropriate Weapons” skills at the same point in the skill list as the “Appropriate Weapons” entry. If it’s first, the first of those will come out as the required skill, right?

Yeah, that’s probably the best solution.