Charred: An Unofficial Online BWG Character Burner

I’ve found some bugs:

1. The app does not provide a way choose your husband’s lifepath if you choose <Setting> Wife.

2. “Herd of Animals” should be counted as property when factoring resources, but it is not.

3. “Mark of Privilege” does not give the 1D Nobility affiliation

The following issues are less important, but still could be fixed:

1. When you purchase gear with a long name, such as armor, the app runs into problems formatting the text for the PDF output and it overlaps the other columns of gear.

2. You should be able to provide a custom name (or notes) for many of the gear options. It would be nice, for example, to enumerate what arms your character has, or to denote which toolkits they have purchased.

I apologize if any of these have been pointed out before; there are a lot of posts to go through to check for previous bug reports

At least 3 is known. Almost no die traits actually modify anything if they should. No extra reputations or affiliations, no changes to stats or attributes, nothing.

For minor problem 2, that’s what custom gear entries are for. You can put in whatever you want.

Yeah, that still needs to be implemented. I’ll make a note.

Added to the TODO list.

Added to the TODO

As Wayfarer mentioned you can use the Custom Gear entry for this. The way I do it is to add the non-custom gear (say, Arms…/Poor Quality), and as a side-effect the Custom Gear textbox is autofilled with the name and has the correct rp. Then remove the one you just added, and modify the custom gear’s name as desired.

Elves -> (Citadel) Seafarer gives a skill “Rowing Training”, which doesn’t exist in Gold.

There are some traits with minor problems:

Bottomless Stomach is missing its description.

Deep Sleeper: Seep -> Deep

Entropic: Any any -> Any

Exile: RAther needs a lowercase a, hi -> him.

Gifted: Soercery -> Sorcery

Healthy: HEalth needs a lowercase e.

Iron Stomach: Frte -> Forte

Iron Will is missing its description.

Landlubber: HEalth -> Health

Linguist: Pzzle -> Puzzle

Phobia: Chose -> Choose

Weak-Willed: “be use in” -> “use”

Also I think there’s still funny stuff happening with traits. If you choose lifepaths, scroll down and add a trait, then add another lifepath, you will have a number of available trait points equal to the total free points provided by your LPs, not including the extra points spent. Removing the traits you purchased will not give you extra points

I’ll fix those.

Hmm, wierd. I’ll look into that.

I can attest to the trait error. I’ve been playing around with a Born Noble>Lord>Prince of the Blood>Captain and I always end up with too many traits. This leads me to another, slightly related question: If you have a trait prerequisite, like in the Lord and PotB path, do you have to have that trait from a previous Lifepath, or can you take the pre-req with a trait point you get from the lifepath in question?

Pushed a new version that fixes some recent issues:

Charred lets you get the required trait at any point in the burn. Until you get it there’s a big red warning in the traits section saying you need to get X trait.

Kanobe, I just used Charred for the new campaign I’m starting with some friends over Skype, and it streamlined the character creation process wonderfully. Thanks for making it!

You’re welcome! I’m glad it came in handy.

We’ve been using it as well, it’s awesome!

BTW, just came across a random error though. A player was trying to burn up a medieval law enforcement figure, and simply couldn’t get to Bailiff for some reason, he turned on the cheat code to do it, and for some reason the path requirement was set to Journeyman, and no other lifepaths. I don’t have my book on me right now, but I think Knight or Lord are the requirements…but definitely not Journeyman.

Anyway, just randomly came up, but really I also wanted to say just thank you for the burner, it is awesome.

Any plans on incorporating lifepaths from the MaBu?

Cool, I’m happy you like it! I haven’t heard from anyone in a long time, so it’s good to know people still know about it and are finding it useful.

Oops, yeah that’s a mistake. It should be ‘Knight or the Your Lordship Trait’. I’ve fixed it and pushed a 1.12 version, so on your next visit it should be correct.

Actually, I’d made some good progress towards implementing Great Wolves and Roden, but then got distracted with other things. I assume that’s what you mean? I don’t actually own the Monster Burner, so someone else was generating the data files and I was integrating them in.

There’s still a few kinks to work out with those stocks, but they’re mostly done.

Awesome thanks! And I actually meant the Magic Burner. There are a bunch of lifepaths in it for magic using characters, it’s an awesome book btw.

And very cool if you incorporate the Great Wolves and Roden, I don’t have the monster burner so that would be cool to explore :slight_smile:

EDIT also just noticed another minor lifepath inconsistency, weather witch seems to only require female, it only enforces the gender but not lifepath requirements

Trolls and Great Spiders are also ready, at least in rough form. For all of the MonBu LPs I had to take a few liberties because they’re not from Gold and have a few inconsistencies.

The MaBu paths, because they aren’t their own lifepaths, and because they’re not built with the same assumptions as Gold sorcerous LPs, are a little trickier.

This has been awesome for quickly jelling characters together! And it’s also really helped to double-check numbers for my PCs without

Only a few quibbles/requests so far:

1. Man’s Military Order LP has +1M/P not +1M,+1P as it should (which we worked around anyway using the handy cheating option)
  2. Opening Void Embrace makes any Hatred based skills you have lose their shade, as well as removing Hatred’s shade. Which was confusing, but only really affected burning. Once again, the cheating option is useful.
  3. It would be awesome if you got the traits “Vigor of Youth” trait to update the values (although i realize this would probably be a pain, and can be worked around using the cheating option. Damn I’m asking for a lot of stuff that isn’t necessary)
  4. +1 for trying to figure out a way to add LPs which have dependencies (like Wife and Bondsman LPs)
  5. How can I thank you enough for making something this awesome!?

EDIT: Oh, and The Rites doesn’t become unavailable after adding a LP. Or didn’t for me. And the Missing Hand Trait from a Brutal life roll came up as a Character Trait (I wish!)

Oops, sorry I should have read that more carefully. As Wayfarer mentioned, they’re not quite there yet :wink:

You’re right! I’ll fix that.

Thanks!

Good catch, I’ll correct that.

Wierd! I’ll look into it.

Yeah, there’s a bunch of traits that have special effects that I need to add in. I’m just building up the energy to get to it :slight_smile:

You mean how they kind of depend on an NPC? Yeah, I still need to come up with a good solution for those.

[/QUOTE]

I’ll look into those.

You’re welcome! I’m happy that people are using it.

Hmm, I can’t find the definition for missing hand in the trait list in BWG. I’m guessing it should be sort of like Missing Limb (a die trait) but less extreme. Do you have an official description for it from somewhere?

It actually isn’t described except on p236, describing the Brutal Life rules. All it says is -1D Agility, but of course any reasonable group will also include other appropriate restrictions. No two-handed weapons, no shields, no brushing your teeth and combing your hair at the same time, that sort of thing.