Custom Dice

I’m in too, Per.

-Chris

Per. the prices you gave us, are those for the laser engraved or the multi-coloured moulded? The site in the UK seems to offer quite a variety of options as regards making the dice, so we should get a concensus regarding that.

From the details on the page, they can only print one color per face, so if we do go with the wheel logo, we’ll probably want a different color for the 6 to distinguish it.

So for example:
1, 2, 3: white/black worms (depending on final dice color)
4, 5: orange burning wheel
6: red burning wheel

The Chessex prices on the page are their going rate, however, they only do engraving. So they only do black/white depending on your preference. My initial idea with them was to have the 6 be a full burning wheel logo, with 4, 5 being just the wheel (without the fire around it).

Any thoughts on this?

More info from Dawn at dice.co.uk (she thought I was from Finland due to my weird accent!)

Delivery costs are Royal Mail standard, which for 100 dice is only £3.75. There will also be an actual cost of me sending the dice to you guys :slight_smile:

The dice are blank before engraving - each side costs £0.28 when we buy 100+, and only half that if we leave three sides blank as the worms fx. I like the prospect of a white die with three blanks and three burning wheels.

You can see the difference between their opaque and pearl dice here:
http://www.dice.co.uk/fs_spotdice.htm

I will set up an order thread - but let’s decide here if we are going for wheel/worms dice or wheel/blank dice.

30 would be cool. I’d go for three sides only.

I’d be up for 3 sides only:

1. To cut down the cost

2. To use the dice with both BE and BWR

…I’ll print those stickers out and paste the snakes on the blank dice…think it’d be a better fit (smooth) for a sticker…

As an aside:

If someone goes out and orders 3 sets of these dice in black, gray, and white for BWR than I say: Well done, sir…and I am jealous!

Man, I forgot about one of the sides needing to be a six. Blast. So one of the wheel images need to be different in some way, maybe showing the number 6, whatever.

The price was for the laser engraved ones. The engraving can only be an outline drawing and no colouring. (The minimum order for the moulded is 1000+ dice)

Hm, maybe the easiest and cheapest option that Chris originally suggested is also the best - cheap blank dice with stickers on them?

Cant you just invert the 6? So its black on white instead of white on black?

Skjalg, the dice will have one colour only, so the background on all sides will be the same. I wonder if the die is a darker colour, say:red, and the “six” wheel could be white outline while the two others are a black outline.

As for the dice I’m using, they’re from GMT Games, from their “Commands & Colors” game. I think when I got them they were $1 apiece (six for $6). They’re the only folks I’ve been able to find that sell dice with indented “windows” so that the stickers don’t get beat all to hell (like they do with the blank dice from Chessex). I contacted them recently and got this back from Sherry…

[i]Hi Chris,
I do not believe all the components are listed for sell on the web site as
of yet. But I can take your order over email, or you may call at
1-800-523-6111, Monday thru Friday 6am to 4pm.

Thank you,
Sherry[/i]

Chris

Yeah, but it should still be possible to invert them. Just make the print negative.

No, it’s an engraving and not a print. Imagine tracing a line with a needle - maybe they can change the colour of the line itself, but won’t affect the colour of the die otherwise. If that makes sense?

What about using three blank faces, two wheels, and a burning wheel? Here’s what I got with some Inkscape:

(Check the Flickr page.)

I suggest the small flames.

that’s pretty sweet

Black and white Dice pictures

These are the images I’ve come up so far. The flaming wheel can be the one for the 6.

Chris,

Is there a certain size of sticker paper you used? It looks letter sized, is that correct?

You guys got me inspired. I’m looking at these Elvish dice for my BWR games.

If there was a way to get them without the companies website address on the dice, I’d be sold!

I like them. I’d just make sure that the wheel has the same size with and without flames.

Yeah, they look good, actually - did you just Streamline Chris’s art?

I can live with the wheel being slightly smaller with flames, btw.

Per

What I did for my Burning Wheel suggestion was to steal the wheel from a PDF and the flames from a book cover. Then I filled in the parts I need with black using Gimp, saved the black shapes only, and inserted both the wheel and the flames into Inkscape. There I used the Trace Bitmap menu to generate vector graphics based on the image. The resuling SVG file can be scaled without image deterioration. I’m assuming Esteban used a similar technique for the Burning Empires suggestion.

I believe Q-Workshop is the outfit that did the custom Burning Wheel dice Luke was selling with Classic. They were incredibly pretty, though difficult to read in play.

You might price out their custom work. Sounds like they might be competitive with the other price you’ guys have been quoted.

Thanks, Thor.

I take it they’re US based. Would anyone ask for a quote from them for 100+ dice either with
3 worms, 2 wheels, 1 burning wheel
and
3 blanks, 2 wheels, 1 burning wheel