Custom Dice

Those are awesome, Esteban!

Chris

Actually Q-workshop is Polish according to their About Us page (“The competition includes the most dynamic and competitive companies from Poland.”). Good for us Euro Heads…

LOL, OK :slight_smile: I’ll send them an email.

Per

The quality of detail on those Q-Workshop dice is incredible. I’d be a lot more willing to pony up more $$$ for the detail.

Reading them wouldn’t be that hard if we went for blank sided dice. Just would have to make sure you could distinguish the sixth side.

Suggestion: 3 sides blank…2 sides wheel (no flames)…1 side wheel with flames?

I’m thinking the images that Kensanata posted above on page 2…(so the 2 images on the right…single flame and no flame?)

Just looking at those elvish dice makes me think Q-Workshop could do that.

EDIT: Oops. Looks like Q-Workshop makes you do all six sides. Is that right?

EDIT EDIT: OK, I’m emailing them some questions.

I’m a software developer so I asked one of our designers if he could do me the favor of turning those images to vector graphics. So I wouldn’t really know what my friend did to get those images. I just handed him some samples and a link to Chris’ custom dice page on the wiki! :slight_smile:

The Q-Workshop dice really look amazing. Readability shouldn’t be much of an issue if we stick to graphics. From reading their page they really seem to go for really intricate designs (or it seems that’s what they’re interested in working). The detailed images kensanata provided really seem to fit the bill in that regard.

I think all sides need to be covered.

How about wheels for 3
flaming wheels for 2
and super flaming wheel for 1?

Haven’t heard back from them yet.

Well, in both BWR and BE the 1 is always failure. So perhaps we can do something different for the 1, to denote absolute failure.

Also, 2 and 3 can be successes in BWR depending on shade.

Finally, 4, 5, 6 are successes regardless of the system.

So, 6 is always important, so we should probably keep the burning wheel for that one. Or at least the super duper burning wheel. :wink:

I figure 2, 3 could have like a half broken and partially broken wheel respectively. (only useful if you’re good enough to make it work?)

Another, and possibly better, idea is to mix the two concepts (BE & BWR). For example:
1: a pile of worms
2: a wheel with lots of worms on it
3: a wheel with one worm on it
4: a wheel
5: a wheel with a little bit of flames
6: a burning wheel.

That way we still get to keep the BE concept, while mixing in the BWR concepts and the worms provide for the graphics denoting failure. Besides, worms are never good, they’re like signs of decomposition and stuff! We’ll probalby need new art, but I’m guessing something can be worked out. At worse I can break out a wacom and Illustrator and pretend I can actually do something with it! Fear the developer designing!

Let’s see what the Polish company comes back with.

Originally we wanted custom BE dice, but if they are cheap enough I don’t see why one of you could get a BWR custom die order together as well.

Well, there are two conflicting forces at work, here. I would like the dice to be very easy to read without having to closely check whether a wheel is broken or not. But I agree that if we take shades into account we need to distinguish the following: 1, 2 (white), 3 (grey), 4 and 5 (black), and 6 (exploding), with the biggest distinction between 1-3 and 4-6 (the majority of cases). That’s why I’d suggest for something light for 2 and 3. Here’s my (BW centric) update. For 2 and three I removed the wood texture and detail on the inside.

It would be very simple to substitute the BE wheel instead, obviously. As for “light” and “dark”, I think we could have a two wheels: The one for 4-6 is solid black and 2-3 uses just the outline. If at all.

Higher resolution available from the Flickr page. SVG source available via Email (see profile page).

OK, Q-Workshop have come back to me! Their price doesn’t matter whether 1 or 6 sides have to be customised. Here are the prices:

100 first dice @ 1.6 = 160 GBP

Shipping:

un-insured: 7 GBP

insured: 15 GBP

Hi Per,
Sounds OK to me. Can we finalize what we’re actually ordering, whether it’s BE and/or BW dice, and what the sides will show? I presume those prices don’t include onward delivery from yours to ours?
John

That’s what this thread is for deciding - when we know what we’d like, I’ll set up an ordering thread here.

The price is excl. postage from me to you, yes, if I’m the ordering guy. If I’m ordering the payment will be PayPal, which again will add a 3.4% fee per payment to me. I won’t charge anything for handling or whatever, I just don’t want to build up expenses for doing it.

My suggestion: White BE dice with 3 worms, 2 wheels, and one burning wheel, all in black ink as per Chris’s/Esteban’s design:
http://picasaweb.google.com/deluvian/BurningEmpiresDice

Here’s their reply and my original below.

Hello,

1. Generally, almost any graphic design is possible and actually we
    encourage projects that depart from the usual “1,2,3…” pattern. Your
    project certainly makes such departure !

2. As above, complexity of design does not affect pricing and it is
    perfectly possible to make a different picture on each side of the
    dice.

3. Regarding costs -

10 dice - 12 USD each
30- 8 USD each
100- 5 USD each

Shipping would be at 5-10 USD depending on the amount.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask !

Regards,
Jakub Jaraczewski
Q-workshop
2008/1/27, Shop Q-workshop <shop@q-workshop.com>:
>

> Hello!
>
> I was wondering if it was possible to make some custom dice with the
> attached images of the burning wheels?
>
> Some questions for you:
>
> 1. Can each side be engraved only with an image—no numbers?
>
> 2. Can I have the wheel with no flames on 3 sides, the flame wheel on 2,
> and the double flame wheel on 1?
>
> 3. What would the cost be for 10 dice in US dollars (plus shipping to
> California, USA)? For 30? For 100?

I’m torn.

The illustrations by K. are beau-ti-ful and I’d love to find a way to get some BWR dice like those.

The BE dice are very functional and would work for both games.

I’m guessing my budget limit is about $120 US dollars.

I’ll wait to see what the consensus is.

Just double-checking the numbers: If I order 30 dice, that would be around USD 105 excluding shipping from the UK to me.

And this would be around USD 153 excluding shipping from the USA to me.

Gulp!

I’ll have to think about these prices.

Hello Burning Wheel community, Jakub from Q-workshop here.

I thought it would be good to point out that prices get sharply lower with higher amount of dice, and actually lately one of more popular ways to order from us are groups of people joining together to make one big order and cut the cost this way. This way you make one big order and split it up afterwards - one person ordering 200 dice comes out cheaper than ten people ordering 20 each. :slight_smile:

Hi Jakub,
Welcome here :slight_smile: That’s what we had in mind - one person ordering a big pile of dice to get the price down.

But they still have to be sent on to the individuals who ordered them.

I think it might be an idea to compile two orders, actually - one for US and one for Europe?

Kensa, these are the cheapest custom dice we’ve found so far (with all six sides customised) AFAIK.

Anyone contacted this company in Kentucky?
http://www.customdice.com/about_us.php

(Sorry, Jakub, but the shipping is going to kill the US folks, I suspect; Per’s right to suggest two orders.)

Note that the company above also sells dice sets for games (at http://www.GameStation.net). Thus, you might be able to do something along the lines of allowing them to use BE/BW art to sell the dice themselves, in exchange for some kind of discount on your initial bulk order (or whatever deal they make to be supplier for the other games there)?

I can see 10-dice sets (even white, gray, black sets with “correct” art, rather than “melded” art and color–though that’s a GREAT progression, kensanata) going for about $12 to $15 or so, based on this game ($5 for 5 dice, 3 with all sides custom) and these neat-o novelty dice ($4 for 5 dice, all sides custom).

And you avoid the exchange rate (I didn’t notice anyone factoring that into cost, but your bank SURE will, when you convert or send currency).

HTH;
David

There’s also the Chessex dice, they haven’t been as forthcoming or quick in their replies as Jakub, but the prices are about: $4.5 per dice for a 30 dice order. Granted they don’t seem to specialize in the level of detail Q-Workshop is famous for.

I’ve sent an email to the custom dice place David suggested to see what sort of quotes they provide.

Overall, it seems that for 30 dice with 6 custom side, you’re looking at $140 or more I’d say. Unless we can really hit up a 100+ order, which doesn’t seem far fetched. :slight_smile:

I didn’t like the quality of plastic in our last Q-Workshop order. The carvings were amazing, though.