Design Sydney's Sniper Laser

Maybe “Kicks like a mule” – does an H2 wound to whoever fires it (so someone in Ballistic/Glass Anvil armor or better is okay, someone unarmored is in serious pain).

sounds good. how about it uses some crazy robot tentacle arms to brace itself by digging into the ground/wrapping braces around windowsills/doorways…and it STILL kicks so hard it leaves a short trench in the ground/rips the frame off the window and therefore needs to be reset/rebraced?

I’m envisioning a blast so hard everyone’s lungs within five feet nearly pop…like, “Exhale Private, I’m about to fire!”

ok maybe i’ve gone from sniper rifle to personal howitzer…

From what I can tell, coilguns would have recoil at least equal to modern firearms of their equivalent size.

They’d require a lot of power. And they’d produce a lot of heat.

On the plus side, they should be able to pierce an engine block and still take out the target.

And Bat Kraken carries eight of these – shooting one with each tentacle! In opposite directions! While sliding backwards across the floor!

Wait, that’s Luke Crane’s remake of The Replacement Killers.

More seriously: Yay, coilguns.

I give you a Laser Sniper rifle, then go away and you change the need to a gauss sniper rifle, and then you all go Bat Kraken on me. Tsh.

Oh well.

Those wanting a sophisticated Laser Sniping weapon

CETR (Coherent Energy Target Rifle) Assault Weapon
H5/H10/H15 Capacitor, Heavy(5), Long Range, Heater, Requires Aiming, Bipod

Requires Aiming (Ob limitation) +1 Ob for shot opportunities gained via suppresive fire actions

Bipod (Adv, Cat limx2) +1D STR for firing attached weapon, only if previous firefight action was not Advance, Flank, Withdraw, or Close Combat

Those wanting a BFG Gauss Accelerator

MAG (Magnetic Accelerator Gun) Squad Support Weapon
V4/V8/V12 Magazine, Heavy(5), Bipod, Recoil

Bipod (Adv, Cat limx2) +1D STR for firing attached weapon, only if previous firefight action was not Advance, Flank, Withdraw, or Close Combat

Perhaps I should give it the trait BFG - +2D Advantage to intimidation tests

Coherent Energy Target Weapon

Long Range Coherent Energy Beam Weapon

Long Range Coherent Energy Precision Weapon

LR- CEPW

Ell Ar Sep dub? Bleh. Sep dub? C dub? LR C dub? “We’ve got a C dub team on the ridge, commander.”

-L

How 'bout:
Precision Anti-Personnel Rifle: PAPR, or ‘Pappy’ as Anvil vets like to call 'em…
Or maybe:
Personnel Extreme-Precision Rifle: PEPR, or ‘Pepper,’ but most vets like to call it the ‘Extreme Prejudice’ weapon…

silly, neh?
:wink:

re: Names

I agree. To literal Death-dealing names aren’t really proper; though soldier nicknames certainly make an exception.

Pop-guns, Hush puppies, “The pig”, burp guns, and Hks are all examples of real life soldier nicknames. Perhaps the same could be applied here? What does the weapon look like? What does it sound like? What does it actually do.

re: Coilguns

Wouldn’t a Railgun have all of ZERO recoil? The idea being a projectile suspended in a null-gravity field then launched at ridiculus speeds, through magnetic motivation. Frictionless until it hits air.

It’s not a rifle. There’s no rifling in the barrel!

Railgun: Sure it’s a rifle. the magnetic coil imparts spin to the projectile. Maybe, since it’s virtual rifling, it’s the V-rifle :slight_smile:

Laser rifle: okay I’ll give you that the beam doesn’t have spin to make it more accurate. It’s not a LITERAL rifle, but it’s called a rifle because it replaces the rifleman’s traditional weapon. We still call it a rifle platoon, but it’s go lasers, so they’re laser rifles.

Alternatively, we could call them Luskets I suppose… or Larquebuses.

Bang Ur Ded! - B.U.D "This is my bud, there are many like it. But this <here> is my buddy.

Zoom Stick - "A shoulder fired weapon that goes ‘ZOOM’ " (or flush? flooosh! stick)

Peep Shot - “peep through the scope, take a shot” snicker

---- Anyhow ----

Naming conventions
I like this MAG (Magnetic Accelerator Gun) but maybe apphend -Weapon instead of -Gun? Luke style.

STATS and Regular Rifle?
In term of Stats for these weapons I beg you to remember that there is already a ‘Rifle’ in the weaponlist which could easily serve as a platform for either a true Sniper Rifle or more portable DMR. (Infact slap on a scope and I’d say you have a perfectly serviceable Designated Marsman Rifle)

Rifle H5, H8, H13 Magazine, Long Range

Add some combination of targeting traits found earlier in the thread.

All in all I guess a projectile weapon would make a better PORTABLE sniper rifle as one could only assume that an ‘Assault Laser’ has already taken its range and power potential to its logical conclusion. (that is without making it a “Gizmo” or “Artifact tech” type item. Aka Special Device)

Yes! Finally!
LASER PLATOONS to battle the threat of the MAGMA BAT KRAKEN

MWHAHAHAH (etc.)

Magnetic Accelerator Weapon, short MAW. That seems to be a good fit, at least in my book.

Modern military parlance is slowly phasing out terms like rifle, pistol and gun for weapons and sidearms. Admittedly, sniper rifles are still called rifles, but why not push the trend?

In fact isn’t the US Army’s Militarized Remington M700 _Rifle _ given the designation the M24 SWS (Sniper Weapon System).

But then again this is Sci-Fi. I don’t see why their naming schemes/conventions should be defined by a specific 21 century’s organizations nomenclature and fetish for TLA’s (three letter abbriviations) ^^ :smiley:

— Anyway —

Yes ‘MAW’ does sound very good.

Moeller likes MAW very much. Maybe MAW Rifle would be better?

-Chrisiskidding

I forgot that, in Bat Kraken’s two long tentacles, he carries a pair of katanas. To cut tanks in half. Without touching them.

On a slightly more serious note, I wouldn’t worry about “rifle” as a designation. The real-world military is full of misappropriated terms already. A “sergeant” was originally any professional soldier of common birth, not a rank at all (true confession: I learned this from playing Medieval Total War). An “ensign” was originally a guy who carried a flag (an ensign). “General” was originally an adjective, meaning “pertaining to the whole force instead of a particular unit”; hence Captain-General, which became plain general, Lieutenant-General, which didn’t change, and Sergeant Major-General, which became Major General. Words shift meaning over time.

Sure, I love that stuff.

So how about this, I don’t like the term “rifle” for this weapon. I think we can do better!

Mr Moeller wants a MAW, give him a MAW. It’ll go nicely with his SCrEW and PAc.

Magnetic Accelerator Weapon System. It seems to be a compromise.

Ok, so what are the stats for the MAWS?

And I still want a sniper laser!