Design Sydney's Sniper Laser

may I say my cup of nerdjoy runeth over at this discussion?

MAW sounds great

do me a favor and, the next time you guys go stating up some imaginary military hardware, work KRAKEN into the name

would make z dog’s tail wag happily

OK Scrolling back two pages and modyfying my earlier submissions based on the discussions.

Those wanting a sophisticated laser sniping weapon (Coherent Energy Long-range Weapon):

CELW (Assault Weapon)
H5/H10/H15 Capacitor, Heavy(5), Long Range, Heater, Requires Aiming, Bipod

Those wanting a gauss accelerator capable of damaging all but the most resilient of targets (Magnetic Accelerator Weapon System):

MAWS (Squad Support Weapon)
V4/V8/V12 Magazine, Heavy(5), Bipod, Requires Aiming

The new traits are:

Requires Aiming (Ob limitation) +1 Ob for shot opportunities gained via suppresive fire actions

Bipod (Adv, Cat limx2) +1D STR for firing attached weapon, only if previous firefight action was not Advance, Flank, Withdraw, or Close Combat

I’d also suggest adding a scope

Optical Targeting System 2pt
+2D advantage to shot opportunities vrs vehicle sub-systems, only mountable on Sniper weapons (Rifle, CELW, MAWS)
(Skill Adv, Cat Limx2, Cond Lim)

Neat.

I think the Sniper Scope is a bit limited – it arguably allows for “called shots” against human targets as well, which in game terms means upping the Die of Fate to get more damage, which in turn requires getting more successes on your roll to hit (either to overcome a higher Obstacle you’ve set for yourself or to buy up the DoF after a successful hit).

I don’t think the CELW (selldub? cheldub? cellu? cello?) should have the heavy trait. If it was a power pack weapon, it’d say definitely. But given its damage ratings and ammo capacity I think it doesn’t need that limitation. Or, if it has to be heavy, I’d do Heavy 4. Or you could have the Requires Aiming trait be like +1 Ob to DF unless mounted on a bipod plus the other restrictions.

And I’m going back on what I originally said, I like the Requires Aiming trait so much that I think it should include shot opportunities from Suppressive Fire and Close Combat. How about a cooler name for the trait: Technical? Delicate Instrument? Complicated Operation?

I like the scope!

-L

“Tech Trait: Ya gotta aim it, jackass” ? Probably too long…sigh…

“NO! This neither has an autofire option nor can you mount a bayonett on it”

Probably too long, too.

how about the Mark 24-SSL?

make up whatever names you want, we all know it really means, “Sydney’s Sniper Laser.” :wink: