20 actions per R&C/DOW volley.
Luke refers to Voice of Ages (I said Command before but it’s Ages!) as “the exception” in that other thread but I still can’t reconcile the tandem action thing. Also it’s a one-and-done effect that lasts throughout the DOW as of Gold. My most charitable reading so far is:
Fight!: Singin’ and swingin’. All songs are tandem actions that take the # of actions listed before the effect fires off AND you make the Steel check for Wonderment at (target’s Will) EDIT: actions exchanges. I’m assuming those are the elf’s actions, and high-Reflex elves can sing really fast, auctioneer-style, while carving you up. So if we start a Fight! and I want to summon up my Blinding Blade via the Song of the Sword, and you have Will 4 and I have say Reflexes 5, what happens is:
- I script singing as my tandem action for 6 sequential actions (SotS actions are Ob x 1, and Blinding Blade is Ob6). Five this exchange (I have ref5), at least the first one next exchange.
- I script normal non-song Fight! stuff for all 5 of my actions in the first exchange.
- On my 4th scripted action, I actually make my Song roll and hopefully generate a MOS EDIT: Deleted because it’s exchanges, not actions.
- My opponent, with Will 4, checks for Wonderment (Ob = hesitation + my MOS) EDIT: Also deleted. Ignore all the in-Fight! wonderment stuff! It would have to last 4 Exchanges before a Wonderment check went off, but the song doesn’t take that long so never mind.
- We keep doing our thing through my 5th action, start a new exchange, and am committed to scripting at least one more Sing tandem action as my first action of my first volley.
- After the first action of my first volley, assuming I succeeded at the song way back on action 4 of the last exchange, EDIT: I make my spellsong roll and hopefully Blinding Blade fires off.
I’m also assuming, in the case of SotS, I don’t get to pre-emptively script as if I added Blinding Blade even if I succeeded and know it’s gonna work, because the blade is in fact not yet blinding when I script. I don’t see any other way logistically to make that make sense.
R&C: Maneuvering and singing is okay. I can only execute (up to) 20 actions worth of song if I can generate at least 1 success and spend it on “Sing,” but I’ll always get to maneuver and singing will not interfere with it. If I can fire a song off in 20 actions or less, it’ll happen inside that R&C volley along with whatever else I’m spending successes on. So I could sing the Song of Burning Bright for say 10 actions (let’s set my Grief to 5, which makes my Ob 5, which makes my actions 5x2 = 10), make the roll, then make that happen along with a bunch of aiming and a shot should my dude get more than 1 success.
Then for songs longer than 1 volley, say Hymn of Victory (60 actions), I’m maneuvering 3 times while singing. Assuming I got a success on the first volley, my opponent makes his Wonderment check then (because unless he has a Will of 20, it’ll def happen) when I make my spellsong roll. EDIT: Assuming the target has Will 4, if the fight lasts 4 Exchanges, make a Wonderment check then. But if I don’t get at least ONE MOS every volley for 3 volleys, and spend that success on “Sing,” I can’t complete the Hymn of Victory and have to start over. Yipes. And like before, I’m committed to those 60 actions whether I succeeded or failed way back in the first Volley.
DOW: No singing-and-talking. Voice of Ages takes 4x Ob actions to finish, and the max Ob is 6 so you MIGHT end up needing a section volley so as to get all 24 (Ob6 x 4 actions) sung out. If you get interrupted (Incite maybe?) you’re screwed. And just like in R&C, during that first Volley we’ll make a Wonderment test. EDIT: If the DOW lasts 4 exchanges (assuming the target has Will 4), make a Wonderment test then. If they fail then it’s like any other hesitation in DOW, yeah? Lose your action? EDIT: And it appears Voice of Ages is the one singing-and-talking exception.
Holy guacamole that’s a lot of Wonderment effects flying around freaking out the non-elves. EDIT: So Wonderment might give the elves an edge but usually it means dragging out a scripted conflict longer than maybe they’d like it to. Probably 3 to 5 exchanges assuming most Wills are in the 3-5 range. Safe to assume Gray will hands out +2 like usual?