Spy Satellite

Building on the discussion in the Hussars thread, i thought I would try to build a spy satallite. I’m sure it’s horribly broken, as this is my first attempt at burning any technology EVER. But bear with me, and we’ll see if we can make it work.

I built it as a vehicle based on the Shuttle template, but now I’m wondering if I should have done that at all, and if I should have just gone from scratch and not treated it as a vehicle. I imagine it would cost a great deal more had I done it that way. But here it is… tear it appart as you wish

Spy Satellite Type: Intrasystem Vehicle (Helm)
Capacity: none Tech Index: Low index and higher
Tech Resources Ob 9
Profile 1
Integrity 3
Control +1 Ob
Signals Inhuman Skill 6
Sensors Inhuman Skill 6
Helm Automation 3
Ordnance None
Vehicular Speed Space 1
Security Automation 3
Structural Tolerances: Surface, H2. Breach, H8. Damaged, V3. Destroyed, V8.

Signals Avatar 6: Automation, Inhuman Skill 10pts
Sensors Avatar 6: Automation, Inhuman Skill 10pts
Security Avatar 3: 11 pts
Helm Automation: 5pts

Total: 36pts added

No Manned Security Station: -4pts
No Signals Tools: -4 pts
No Sensors Advantage: -3 pts
No Sensors Tools: -4 pts
Space Speed 1: -12 pts
Integrity 3: -8pts

Total: 35 removed

Total resources: Ob 9

Edited to change resources and wounds

We took a different approach in our game when we wanted a spy satellite for our Intelligence Officer. I don’t have the specifics with me, but basically it was a simple piece of tech that gave an enhancement allowing Observation tests to be made in areas where the character wasn’t present. We added in a bit of automation and a limitation of unobscured surface areas only.

That’s probably a more sencible way of handling it, but I wanted to try and burn it up completely =P

Burning it up this way is definitely more complex – the templates really have to be tweaked a ton – but it also gives the darn thing the capacity to maneuver and take damage (a little) when your enemy decides to try to take it out. If you just burn up the skill bonuses and enhancements without the physical chassis, you’re left making +1Ob Resources tests in the middle of a conflict scene as you try to justify your “eyes in the sky” not getting swatted.

EDIT for afterthought:

Also, an Ob 9 cost ain’t bad at all. Remember, if it’s a satellite waddling along in orbit (space speed 1), it’s got next to zero life expectancy once enemy Hammer comes in-system.

I think the best approach to recon assets is lots of low-cost drones and satellites, which you assume will mostly die, and a handful of high-cost Hammer AWACS/JSTARS and Hussar-type armored recon, which can actually maneuver and take hits.

think the best approach to recon assets is lots of low-cost drones and satellites, which you assume will mostly die, and a handful of high-cost Hammer AWACS/JSTARS and Hussar-type armored recon, which can actually maneuver and take hits.

The first page of Sheva’s War, chapter 3 shows a horde of Vaylen corvettes dispersing orbital submunitions: decoys, satellites, smart mines, what-have-you.

-Chris

That’s exactly what I was going for with this. Fat, slow, fragile, but it sees everything! You could get it for a lot cheaper if you were willing to drop the sensor and signal exponents, or to make them simply automated as opposed to inhuman skill. It’s got limited manouvering capabilities, and a bit of security to dissuade characters from flying up and physically tampering with it. Probably ought to buy it a self destruct system as well.