Street Performance "Tools"

Should a “Street Performer” require a tool kit to demonstrate his preparation and props needed to do his show?
Things like instruments are already covered in the musical instrument skill, but other performance artists such as jugglers, clowns, magicians, and mentalists are not.
Do to the abstract nature of BWG it seems as if “Tool Kits” is the way to go, with a skill being more difficult to use without the proper props/tools/make-up/ect. (The skill obstacles in BWG would assume the proper tools are available).
The alternative would be to grant advantage/disadvantage based on having your own props as opposed to using unfamiliar/impromptu ones.
Or am I over complicating things again?

I would say that a kit would definitely essential. You can’t juggle without balls, act without costumes and props, or “cut” someone in half without a saw and the appropriate box with any hope of succeeding. Rotten tomatoes will fly.

If you’re using “impromptu” props, you don’t really have props, therefore counting as not having the kit, I would imagine.

The counterargument is that not every object is a tool. I’d argue that balls aren’t really. Neither is a deck of cards. An elaborate magic act might require more.

I’m more lenient than some on kits, I think, but I think it’s a decision for the table and you could reasonably go either way. Or, in BW terms, ask if the game benefits from being persnickety about the tools of the trade. If yes, make them be acquired and maintained. If not, they’re kind of a Say Yes to background stuff that doesn’t matter.

Unless you’re also really digging at the knight to make sure he’s got the stuff to maintain his arms and armor clean rust-free, you’re already allowing some logistical details to slide.

So then should the successes determine how well prepared the performer was, or should their performance be affected by their preparations? (Extra Time, Props, Wises and such) basically allowing an advantage for preparations before a performance.

The successes always determine how well the character achieves his/her intent, whatever that may be.

The game should determine how well-prepared the performer was. If you decide the stuff for the performance is a kit, then the question is whether or not she has a kit. If you decide it doesn’t require a kit, then it’s based on whether the game’s fiction has provided appropriate preparation. If play hasn’t made it clear, it’s generally acceptable for players to add color on the fly.

Yes, what’s the juggler’s intent here?

Intent is, for once, probably besides the point. This is a question of task and whether the task requires tools.

Depends on intent.you don’t need special balls to juggle, you can just grab a few pieces of fruit or some small flasks of wine, or belaying pins, or handkerchiefs. But if you want to impress the noblewoman in order to get hired for her next gala, you may want to break out the regalia.

Of course, if your task is to play a flute, then you have to have a flute. It’s not a matter of it being more difficult without a flute, it’s not possible.

True, and some “impromptu” acts actually take quite a bit of preparation and pratice. But to pull them off, they must appear to be totally “off the cuff” (improvised).
I could see a lot of “magic tricks” being done up as simple falsehood or persuasion/oratory forked with sleight of hand/acting with any equipment being purchased and maintained through resource tests. Juggling would have to be considered a performance skill (similar to dance) either that or a basic speed test (Ob= number of items being juggled + complexity of routine/items).

Ob 1: Juggling balls
Ob 2: Juggling Oversize objects or misshapen objects.
Ob 3: Juggling Fragile Objects
Ob 10: Juggling flaming acid spiting chainsaws on a tightrope

I would say:
Ob1: Light, Balanced Objects (like scarves and balls)
Ob2: Heavy, Balanced Objects/Light, Unbalanced Objects
Ob3: Dangerous Objects (weapons, valuables, fragile items).

This allows the standard three item toss and catch as a part of a planned routine.
(No “Arrow Catching” Instinct)

Sure. But I still like my Ob 10. Makes for great party contests.

We can work up to that (assuming you can find chainsaws in your world setting). Increasing any factor would increas the obstacle.
The big question remains, is it a Speed Test or do we create a Juggling Skill?
What about other “performance” skills like tumbling, tightrope walking, sword swallowing, fire breathing, (ect.)?
A Speed of B6 can let you pull off some acrobatic feats so that can handle those who are naturally inclined or talented (altho not trained), perhaps some of the more bizarre acts could be handled the same way (Fort test to swallow a sword?) Or should these be able to be done with wises, or as performance skills that find their roots in both the related physical stat and will stat (just because you can do something doesn’t mean you can entertain others while doing it).
Having said that, should it then be a versus test agsinst the will of the audience?

I would imagine that it is the throwing skill, actually. Juggling is a pretty niche thing that I doubt would come up very much in play. So I think it may be something covered in that skill, as would things like throwing knives at a spinning target board, or just a simple game of catch. More complex then speed, but not a unique skill that is pressured in any environment on its own. I think RP should cover the entertaining/not entertaining value, the GM being the audience of sorts.

How is that different from, say, Singing, Musical Instrument, or any other entertainment skill? Or the artistic skills, for that matter?

Training Skill?

I think the problem here is that we’re splitting hairs over something.

Juggling itself is an aspect of probably the Agility stat, but maybe the speed stat. It doesn’t really need a skill of itself, because it shouldn’t accomplish much other than putting stuff in the air then catching it.

Street Performance, on the other hand, is the incorporation of techniques such as juggling, sleight of hand and acrobatics into a show. The main element of the show is going to be showmanship. Other details can be treated as “below the abstraction layer”. This should act like all the artistic or performance skill.

Conclusion:
Use a stat to see if your PC can accomplish these tasks (juggling, walking a tightrope, walking a slackrope)
Use a skill to see if your PC can accomplish this task (throwing 5 knives at 5 bulls-eyes whilst riding a unicycle)
Use Street Performer to see if your PC can accomplish this intent: please and inspire, or impress, the crowd. By doing any of the above tasks.

Note that the first two options didn’t have an Intent. That’s because they’re examples of tasks. I’m not saying that the skill of the person juggling AT JUGGLING is irrelevant. I’m saying that showmanship is different from being good.

Probably make Street Performer some unholy trio of stats. Or just Will. Allow FoRKs from Throwing, unicycle-wise, Oratory, and a linked test from one Stat for the main performance.

How is that different from, say, Singing, Musical Instrument, or any other entertainment skill? Or the artistic skills, for that matter?

Because playing a musical instrument is a career skill that takes years of practice as well as musical appreciation and knowledge of harmony. You can learn to juggle in an hour or two with some sense of focus and 3 objects. So it should use either the throwing skill, as a branch off of that knowledge, or agility. It doesn’t take an athlete to juggle, which is what speed is all about.

True enough. But being able to do a throw and catch routine with multiple objects is one thing, being able to entertain and hold an audience (especially for a street performance) is another (if they don’t stay, they don’t pay).
In regards to singing and instrumentals, these are also skills that require a certain amount of showmanship to be entertaining (you can practice and train for technical perfection for years and still never learn how to “sell it” to the crowd).
The will of the audience can be affected by the venue and surroundings (quality of food/quantity of drink) so city wise and crowd wise can help with that (as can acting/oratory). So if your intent is to earn some money your task is to do a linked test to pick your time and place to perform (City-Wise, Crowd-Wise) perform your act (Sleight of Hand with Falsehood and Acting FoRKs) and get paid (Oratory with Begging FoRK) the final obstacle for the linked test would be double the amount of cash expected to earn (2D=Ob4) while each link would have an effect on the process.
I’ve chosen “Sleight of Hand” to represent the performance skill of a street magician, your skills and FoRKs may vary.
(Note: This concerns street performances rather than pub or other hired venues.)