Translation problems

Right, someone who is oikofugic is characterized by the desire to travel, migrate, or merely wander.

Why, where did you get the horse bit? That’s funny if there’s really a word for that.

Uhhh… mostly because I tried to completely repress all early Psychology work I studied during my BA last year. (Oikofugic being coined by an American Psychologist as an opposed term to oikotropic) That’s why I got it wrong.

It’s embarrassing I got it that wrong. I might have done it because it’s the Wanderer Lifepath trait for elves, and the other good option for Wanderers is Outrider, who have the Smells Like a Horse trait. It might have been because -fugic and -fumic look the same, and I forgot that it’d be more like “equofumic” from Latin, or “hipposmic” from Greek.

Well Appointed, when it comes to people and places, usually refers to having everything you are supposed to have, as well as looking good (a well appointed room would not only have all the necessary furnishings to meet its required purpose, everything would match as well!).
A person would have all the little things needed to complete their outfit or desired look. Their finery is the finest, their traveling gear is well stocked with everything they need (at least until the first one is rolled) everything matches, everything looks like it’s a part of the same set), their normal clothes are never threadbare, everything matches and looks good.

Hello again,
just reading the BWG book to see which part is the most important to translate and got some misunderstanding about Resources rules. Here is the problem - “If a character’s effective Resources ever drop to exponent 0 due to tax, his Resources exponent is depleted by 1D.”
What exactly “effective Resources” means? Example (if I understand it well): The knight has B3 Resources and wats to buy new armor. It is Ob 3. He fails his test and gets taxed 1D. This 1D is taxed die. Another time, if he wants to buy anything else and still be taxed, the player rolls 3 dices again?
Whenever he gets 3 taxed dices, his Resources exponent is depleted by 1 and can be restored via advancing rules only? So now he has Resources exponent 2? Can I say if taxed dices equel Resources exponent (3 taxed = exp 3, in my case) it means that knight Resources will drop to exp 2?
Am I right or not?

You are, but you don’t get to roll taxed dice.

The knight with B3 Resources suffers one taxed die. Until he recovers the die (by Getting a Job) he rolls 2 dice for his Resources tests.

If he fails another test and is taxed another die, he has 2 taxed dice on his B3 Resources, so only rolls one die on Resources. Without cash, help, or a fund to draw from, he’s likely to fail.

And when he fails he is taxed another die. He now has three taxed dice, taxed dice =3, Resources exp= 3. So he goes to an untaxed resources total of B2. And rolls 2 dice for Resources tests.

Not quite.

Whenever you roll Resources you roll a number of dice equal to your total Resources minus your taxed dice. That’s the number referred to as your effective Resources. In your example, the player would roll 2 dice the second time. If he fails and is taxed 1D, his next roll would be a single die. If he’s taxed yet again, he’d have Resources B3 but all those dice are taxed, leaving him with effectively 0 dice. His exponent drops to B2. His effective Resources is still 0, so he can’t roll at all, but he can get a job and recover the taxed dice. However, because his exponent dropped to B2, a job can only restore his Resources to B2. To get back to B3 will require normal advancement as though he were never at B3 in the first place.

You are, but you don’t get to roll taxed dice.

The knight with B3 Resources suffers one taxed die. Until he recovers the die (by Getting a Job) he rolls 2 dice for his Resources tests.

If he fails another test and is taxed another die, he has 2 taxed dice on his B3 Resources, so only rolls one die on Resources. Without cash, help, or a fund to draw from, he’s likely to fail.

And when he fails he is taxed another die. He now has three taxed dice, taxed dice =3, Resources exp= 3. So he goes to an untaxed resources total of B2. And rolls 2 dice for Resources tests.

Edit: ninja’d.

Aside: 1 die, 2 or more dice. Irregular plural.

Thanks a lot guys. It is clear for me now.

Aside: 1 die, 2 or more dice. Irregular plural

Novice mistake. I am ashamed.

Don’t be. It’s a simple error, most of us make the mistake of only using the word “dice” even when only referring one thing.

An addendum to the above: the advancement is based on the un-taxed exponent. So Mr. Knight is taxed from B3 to an effective B2. He still advances as if he was going from B3 to B4, not as if he was going from B2 to B3.

To Why: Whoah, if you tax all your Resource dice you don’t reduce Resources by 1 and then un-tax all your dice! You reduce Resources by one and all your remaining dice are still taxed!

And a clarification of stormsweeper’s post: like anything else, you advance based on the number of dice rolled versus Ob. It doesn’t matter what your Resources exponent is, just how many dice roll—untaxed dice, Cash, Funds, help, whatever. Also like any other advancement, the actual number of tests required is based on the full, untaxed exponent.

Wayfarer: yeah, serves me right for writing it during a teaching session.

Hello again, just a little.
When my player’s dwarf is using Games of Chance skill, competing with a human, is the human allowed play with him (using Beginners luck only) or not? The man can not use his aptitude because of stock skill restriction, so if he wats to play Games of Chance, he must use Beginners luck only and can never learn the skill, right?

Games of Chance is “dwarves only” in character burning. It can be learned by anyone in play.

Hello again, I’d like to ask you about some wises explanations, last time I hope.

Bad End - wise - Is it realy “that” bad end ? “If you go there you will die as our father!” or “I knew some brave soldier. But he died last year in the battle of Brenna during last stand.”

Burden of the Crown - wise - ??

Cadence - wise - Is a weapon cadence the meaning?

Guilder - wise - A translator gives me result: “Dutch silver coin”. Or does it mean Guild+er = the member of the guild?

Great and Black - wise - The Wise about Orc’s legion?

Hold - wise - Hold as a fortress or anything else? In czech “hold” has a lot of meanings.

Hoof - wise - ??

Maker’s Mark - wise - ??

Mouth of Hell - wise - ??

Personal Effects - wise - I know the translation but not sure what imagine behind it.

Rhytm of the City - wise - Any elven song wise connected with the human cities?

Scutwork - wise - monotonous boring work?

Thank you very much

The context of where these come from helps. I can’t recall off-hand. Best guesses!

Bad End: This is from the idiom “to come to a bad end,” meaning to suffer disaster, usually death, and often through some mistake or as a result of bad decisions. “If you hang out with that crowd you’ll come to a bad end, like a knife in the back in an alley.” The wise is probably meant to be about consequences like that.

Burden of the Crown: This is about the downsides to being the ruler. How hard it is to be in charge, how many people would like to take your place. It’s not always fun being the king. I would say that the wise is probably about understanding that ruling isn’t just having power and money.

Cadence-Wise: Not weapon cadence. This is marching or rowing cadence. (I can’t recall which LP gives it. It’s fine either way.) Staying on the right tempo for moving together.

Guilder-Wise: I think this is about the Guilder setting for Dwarves. It’s generally about members of guilds.

Great and Black: The Great and Black are the nobility of the Orcs, or as close to it as they have. This is knowing about the mighty and important Orcs. (Black Legion-wise would be knowing the legion.)

Hold: This is about fortresses, particularly those of Dwarves. Their larger homes and palaces are holds according to BW property lists.

Hoof: Hooves are the feet of horses. Hoof-wise is knowing about those (very important to the health of horses, and examining them is critical to making sure horses aren’t lame and don’t become lame.)

Maker’s Mark: A maker’s mark is the mark a craftsman or artist places on his work to show that he’s the one who made it. It’s the medieval version of a brand logo, essentially. This wise lets you recognize from the marks who made a particular object.

Personal Effects: I’m a little baffled too. I think you can interpret it how you want and how it makes sense in the game. Maybe recognizing whose belongings are whose.

Rhythm of the City: This is also an idiom. The rhythm of a city means knowing generally how it works, where people go and when. It’s having a “feel” for the city and knowing it well.

Scutwork: Yes, you have it exactly right. Menial, boring work.

Specifically for that meaning of cadence, it’s stuff like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrocxEWT430

Thank you so much for your time. Wises are almost done.
What about the Mouth of Hell - wise ? Does it mean huge vulcano or hell entrance ?

Edit Note: I just went through the book trying to find what Lifepath had this skill, but I failed. So I’m really quite likely to be wrong about this.

For my money, it applies to any situation where you might be (figuratively or literally) staring death in the face or (literally) in a very dangerous situation about to go forwards to your doom. I read it as a reference to “Charge of the Light Brigade” which describes the doomed warriors as riding into the mouth of hell.

I assume it refers to the actual entrance to hell, something like this:

If this is a literal, metaphysical or metaphorical thing in your game depends on your setting, of course. It’s a trait for zealots, hellfire-and-brimstone preachers and religious rabble rousers.