Translation problems

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hellmouth

“Personal Effects-Wise” would let you know or deduce information about a person just by looking at their personal items, such as knowing where the particular item was made, or recognizing when something doesn’t quite fit the rest of the things in a personal space like a bedroom. Perhaps even reconstruct a person’s itinerary from the things that they have bought and carried with them.

I count it like “Stuff Wise” applied to personal stuff, and use it as a deductive reasoning type of skill.

Hello again,
thanks for exhausting answers about traits meanings. I’m making direct translation of Dt and C-O traits description and found some confusing fact about Estimation trait. The trait says: “Using this training skill, a Dwarf may add +1D to any skill that requires an estimation of distance…”
Is it the training skill or a trait? Does the trait purchase give a whole new skill? I’m little confused about it.
Thanks for explanation.

It’s probably a holdover from BWR. There were some Training Skills that were converted to Traits in BWG. The text probably just got missed in editing.

Yes, it’s old text missed in that printing. Several traits in Gold were originally “training skills” in Revised. Geometric is another such trait.

Nice catch. If you add to the errata section of the wiki, I’ll correct it on the next printing.

Luke: Done. I will report any other catched mistakes when found.

Edit: Can anyone please explain me the main defference between Believer X Faithful X Devout?

Thanks.

Believer: -1 Ob to use Faith against (both positive and negative effects).
Faithful: Access to Faith (page 522).
Devout: Character trait.

Cheers!

On page 119 in BWG there is Tough trait listed as dwarven common trait.
In the trait list on page 351 in BWG there is the same trait listed as the 2 pts die trait suitable for all races.

Which one is correct?

Some Men, Elves, and Orcs are tough. All Dwarves are tough.

Believer refers to someone who regards the divine, miracles, etc (or claims about these), as the truth. It’s the opposite of being a skeptic.
Being Faithful is more than believing in a god, it is possessing absolute trust and loyalty to your god. While a Believer accepts the truth of miracles they are witness to or they hear about, the Faithful do not require such evidence to affirm their belief.
Devout is about the intensity of your religious belief. This is the person who prays regularly and often, who gets upset over even the most minor of sins, etc.

From the mechanics side:

Those with the Believer trait are more susceptible to Faith.
Those with the Faithful trait have the Faith attribute.
Devout is a character trait.

Note that the Faith rules also make reference to “believers” which is a more general sense of the word, and not specifically those with the trait.

Thanks guys for all your explanations.

I am not familiar with some Greed rules. On page 123 there is a note that says: “a failed Steel test in which player chooses I Must Have It! counts as two routine tests for advancement.”

1. So I earn 1 test when testing Steel (She is Magnificent rule) and second for chosed I Must Have It! reaction (failed test)?
  2. Is it always the rutine test?
  3. Is the advancement test log only for Greed? Even if testing Steel? The Steel doesn’t earn any test when it is used for purpose of Greed?

Thanks

The Steel test is logged as any Steel test, based on Steel exponent and the Ob of the test.

If the Steel test is failed and the player chooses “I Must Have It!” then two routine tests are logged for Greed, not Steel.

To clarify, the Greed tests are in addition to the Steel test. So you get the Steel test and 1 or 2 Greed tests, depending on which reaction you choose.

Thanks that heped me a lot, but I think the whole section about Greed would needs some clarity. Maybe examples of using mechanics under the line.

I’d like ask you some more questions about Greed:

1. When testing Steel in order to Greed check (She is magnificent rule) I earn 1 Steel test and 1 or 2 Greed tests - that’s clearly. The Steel test is against hesitation or Greed. So the hesitation or Greed exponent is the Ob used for purpose of Steel advancement?

2. When using persona point in order to add dice to ability check I earn a Greed test. The Ob for the test is equal to Greed exponent? So it is the number of added dice comared with Greed exponent (as Ob)?

1. Yes, you got it.

2. No, the Ob for the test is not equal to the Greed exponent. Yes, for advancement, use the number of dice added as the obstacle and compare it to your Greed exponent.

To clarify: Adding X dice from Greed counts as a test for Greed at obstacle X.